Medved Trader Forums

Significant changes in the last release

Jerry Medved

1) The latest release (1.0.8749.0135) requires .NET 4.5, so it will not work on Window XP. As for others, if you don't have .NET 4.5 installed, MT will prompt you to install it.

2) Performance - we made some changes to charting (regular and Inline) that should result in pretty significant improvement in CPU usage. Please let us know if you are seeing that.  For those that wish to reduce the CPU usage further, we added performance slider controls on the SETTINGS / CHARTS / GENERAL screen.  By setting the chart performance lower, you will be reducing how often MT updates the charts.  We found that even a small reduction from the highest setting results in very significant CPU usage reduction.  If your CPU is constantly running hot, give this a try

3) Dashboard - Previously, we had the main Dashboard window and you could hit F12 or click on the dashboard button on any other MT window to have the dashboard window brought to the front.  We changed this a bit. You still have the main dashboard window, and it can be brought to front with SHIFT+F12 key.  The dashboard button and F12 however will show you a dropdown dashboard window right there on whatever window you were on. 

It is dynamically sized to fit the tiles you have selected to be on there. You can right click on any tile and select the HIDE option.  To bring it back, you can go to the menu on the dashboard and drag the menu item right onto the tiles and it will add the corresponding tile back to the view. 

The Floating logo has been changed to not be shown by default, though you can still show it (main dashboard, SETTINGS menu...)

All feedback very much welcome. Please let us know your thoughts on the UI changes as well as your real-life experiences with the performance improvements. 

A bit of feedback:

For charts using OHLC or OHLC(SC), the Open and Close hash marks on each bar are only crisp if the "Min OHLC Width" is set to "1".  I prefer my bars just a bit thicker, and have the width set to "2".  If you set the width to "3" or higher, you'll only see the bar height and the Open and Close hash marks won't show at all.

I can live with it, but the display of these types of bars was better before this release.

Change the Max Candle Width to be higher than the Min OHLC Width.

If that doesnt fix, could you send me a picture of the chart and maybe another with what you would rather have, as well as your settings for:

Min OHLC Width

Max OHLC Width

Max Candle Width - for OHLC, this controls the Open/Close hash marks

I already had the Max Candle Width set to 30 which was much higher than the MIN OHLC Width

My settings:

MIN OHLC Width: 2

MAX OHLC WIdth: 5

MAX Candle Width: 7

Looking at the current charts and screen prints that I had from before, it appears that before this release, the Open and Close hash marks stuck out to the left and right as far as the thickness of the high and low thickness (width) of the bar was.  Now the Open and Close hash marks only stick out a tiny amount to the left and right unless the Min OHLC Width is set to "1".  So, the Open and Close hash marks aren't as prominent when the thickness is set above 1.  Its slightly different for OHLC(SC) charts....when the setting is set to 3 for OHLC charts, you can barely see the open and close hash marks, but not at all for OHLC(SC) charts.  Here are some screen prints below:

New Release, OHLC thickness of 1(Open and close hash marks are clear) :

Example%20Width%201_zps8vvstsyi.jpg

New Release, OHLC thickness of 2 (Open and close hash marks not as clear as they used to be....they don't stick out much to the left and right of the bar):

Example%20Width%202_zpst4vuwqp7.jpg

New Release, OHLC thickness of 3 (Can barely see the open and close hash marks):

Example%20Width%203_zpsgfsmod4v.jpg

New Release, OHLC(SC) thickness of 3 (Can't see the open and close hash marks at all):

OHLCSC%20thickness%20of%203_zpshyxwd7du.

OHLC Example before current release, Min OHLC Width set to 2 (Open and Close hash marks are clear and easy to see):

Width%20before%20current%20release_zpsuq

Please let me know if you need any other information, or if any of this doesn't make sense to you.

Thanks,

Tim

That really didn't make much of a difference.  If I show fewer bars (period) on the chart, then the Open and Close hash marks are clear, but not for the settings that I'm used to.  I can probably get used to this....I was just used to the open and close hash marks being a bit more prominent when the thickness is set to 2 or higher.

Thanks,

Tim