Medved Trader Forums

How do u set global timeframe for @UBZ14 to eCBOT?

ehjump

Hello Jerry;

How does one set the timeframe for a given instrument globally without having to go to each chart of the instrument?

E.g. I have multiple charts for @UBZ14 open and they are all set to the "US Equity Mkts" timeframe by default. In other to change the timeframe to eCBOT, I have to go to every chart for UBZ14 and change the timeframe individually.

Whereas, in QT, if I changed the timeframe in one chart, all the other charts for UBZ14 would change to this timeframe. Would like to change the timeframe like in QT, anyway to do this?

Thanks in advance.

When you just change the timeframe on the chart, it is specific to the chart.  However, once you do that, if you look at the timeframe dropdown, there is another option - "Set Symbol Default: ....".  If you select, you will se the default timeframe for that symbol and then any chart that is also set to the default will automatically change

Thanks, Jerry for your quick response. It worked with a little catch - I had to reload the symbol to the charts for it to now show the new timeframe for the other charts (other than the chart from which I performed the timeframe selection). Good enough for me though.

Jerry I emailed you the settings file.

You'll notice that when you change the timeframe of the 5 min chart of either the green-linked, or the blue-linked, charts the timeframe only changes for the 5min chart (view the timeframe on the 60min chart and it is still the prior timeframe).

When you then change the symbol associated with the green-linked charts, and then revert back to UBZ14, the UBZ14 charts now have the new default timeframe - this is what I mean by "reloading the chart."

Note: There was an error that's not associated with this issue in a Word document also attached to the email.

Jerry;
Sorry, the word I should have used is refresh, not reload. The way you explained how to changed the default timeframe for a particular symbol from one of its charts works. One just has to 'refresh' the other charts of the same symbol to observe the change on them. The way I refresh the charts is to swap the symbol for an unrelated symbol, then swap back to the symbol and it show the new default timeframe on all of its other charts.

I think the reason why I'm not conveying my message well is the fact that "timeframe" in MT means a setting for exchange trading hours and the "other" charts of the symbol are of several different time frames as in 5m, 60m, etc. So, I'm trying not to use different meanings for the word. Let me try to explain again:

Say, for example, on the 5m chart for @UBZ14, I change the default "timeframe" setting to eCBOT from US Equity. The "timeframe" setting on the 60m & 15m charts for @UBZ14 still remains as US Equity until I "refresh" @UBZ14.

The way I refresh is as follows:
- Since I have linked the 60m,15m and 5m charts for @UBZ14 with the green pin, I use the green pin to click on a different symbol, say @CLZ14, then click back on @UBZ14
- Now, @UBZ14 is refreshed and its 60m and 15m charts now show eCBOT as the new default timeframe

Hope this better explains my post above (at 6:40pm)

ok, I fixed it. In the future:

Lets say you have charts 1, 2, 3, 4 on @UBZ14 - If charts 2, 3 and 4 are set to the "default" timeframe for that symbol and on chart 1 you change the timeframe, and then you "Set Symbol Default" on chart 1, the other charts will all change to the new default. 

If however you first change chart 4 timeframe to some custom one, and then do  Set Symbol Default thing on chart 1, all charts will update except chart 4