Medved Trader Forums

Ability to edit 'note' field in live view.

carlisle

Question

10 answers to this question

Actually, currently you can only edit a the portfolio Note field via edit function.

Watchlist's only provide option to add symbols, no editing available.

nzw8.jpg

Workaround is to only create portfolio's for now.

dashboard / portfolios / edit / select portfolio or add portfolio, but do not add new watch list if you desire to use/edit the notes column.

Edit portfolio from dashboard is simple enough, but concur, being able to add notes on the actual portfolio page by double clicking on the note field is more intuitive

yes, sorry about that, my post was a unclear.

The OP asked to be able to edit directly in the note field on Portfolios and Watchlists.

I was only able to edit a "note" in a portfolio... In Watchlists, I was able to edit name and symbols and you pointed out. What I meant to say was that "The Note field" was not editable in Watchlists

[or more appropriately, I wasn't able to edit note's in a Watchlist].

Hence my suggestion to not use a Watchlist if editing notes was important. I personally prefer to keep notes in my symbol list / quotemgr / portfolio / watchlist whatever the platform calls it. i.e. Specific levels I am interested in: Entry/Exit levels, my preferred Rollover dates, dates which invalidate trade setups etc... which makes a notable area a key feature.

Portfolio works just fine for that, and clicking edit is relatively simple. I usually batch my notes anyway after my daily analysis. I also prefer my notes to be located in a centralized location, as opposed to being scattered all over charts or in Evernote, more efficient.

HK

Had a bit more time today, while I was configuring my workspace, noticed an inconsistency.

Not sure if this is by design, but this is what I was referring to in my previous post, 

Comparison of Portfolio and Watchlist entry fields.

In Watchlist you can enter symbol directly or via edit feature, -- also the Note field is selectable but not editable

In Portfolio you can not enter symbol directly, only via the edit feature, and then only individually, however, if you create a new portfolio you can enter multiple symbols at once initially

the Note field is selectable and editable

It seems intuitive to be able to enter symbols the same on both Watchlists and Portfolio's, albeit they may serve different functions. 

h6g9.jpg
]

• Like 1

the whole point of the Watchlist is that it doesn't have the detailed info about symbols but can be entered easily via simple text string.  I cannot have symbol details if stuff is stored/entered like that.  

NOTE column - the column selection right now does not know what type of portfolio is being viewed, so the columns you select are there regardless of portfolio type.

In Portfolio you can not enter symbol directly, only via the edit feature, and then only individually,

No. you can hit INS on the portfolio and enter many symbols at once. (INS or the ADD SYMBOLS button)

however, if you create a new portfolio you can enter multiple symbols at once initially. the Note field is selectable and editable

No idea what you are referring to here. Where exactly does a new "portfolio" let you add multiple symbols that an existing one does not?

No. you can hit INS on the portfolio and enter many symbols at once. (INS or the ADD SYMBOLS button)

My apologies for the mis-information,

I do see how clicking "Add Symbols" directly on the Portfolio pops up the entry box for a string of symbols, same as watchlist.

In Watchlist, above the Add Symbols is a Symbol entry field, which is not present on the portfolio, this also caught my eye and threw me off.

I was in edit mode when I made the comparison,  

Dashboard/edit/portfolio/AddSymbols (Ins) I was only able to enter one symbol at a time, attempting multiple created the error code from the other day, hence I was focused on this entry method, ref: my comments in previous post(s).

1sxh.jpg

My initial comments in this topic were in reference primarily to the ability to edit notes in Watchlists & Portfolios, and my concurrence with OP's request to be able to annotate Note Fields directly in them [without the need for the editor].

I was trying to point out that one can only edit Notes in Portfolios, not Watchlists. Somehow, the topic took a tangent due to my post being vague, and factually incorrect.

Your explanation, regarding the use of Watchlists and Portfolios, makes complete sense. Watchlists due not require "Acquisition" information, hence a speedy entry method.

I merely was attempting to point out the nuances between the two, and a very minor inconsistency between the symbol entry.

My personal notes on the subject:

Portfolios - Direct: you can enter Multiple symbols directly, but can not edit Notes <- [ability to edit notes being the feature, I believe OP/I would like activated 
Portfolios - Edit: you (I) have only been able to enter symbols individually, but can enter Notes

Watchlists - Direct: you can enter Multiple symbols directly - Notes are not designed to be edited   <- this being the feature, I believe OP/I would like activated 
Watchlists - Edit: you can enter Multiple symbols directly - Notes are not designed to be edited   <- this being the feature, I believe OP/I would like activated

No idea what you are referring to here. Where exactly does a new "portfolio" let you add multiple symbols that an existing one does not?

Sorry, my statement was in error. At the time, while in portfolio "edit"  I was unable to make multiple entry, when I selected NEW portfolio I was able to. Subsequently after you comments and explanation, I realized my error / misconception.

Thank you for your clarifictions

HK

Just a personal perspective:

I am really a daytrader overall. I personally operate in watchlist mode.  This is so because I watch a whole lot of stocks and they change daily..   Being able to  directly type a note  in the row of a stock in a watchlist could be very useful.  As a matter of fact, I do not  ever really use portfolio view.

I saw this same issue today with the NOTE field and found this thread.  My concern is one of speed since the NOTE field is critical to me.  If I need to quickly add a note about a stock (usually why it is overly active on the current day), I won't be able to do that as easily as you currently can in QuoteTracker.  QuoteTracker has an icon at the top of the portfolio window (Edit Portfolio/Alerts) which quickly(one click) brings up the portfolio and allows you to edit the NOTE field.  Currently in MT, it appears that this may take up to several clicks to get to the same point (First click the "show hide ribbon", Second click the "Main" drop-down list, and Third click the "Manage Portfolios and Symbols" icon.  It looks like the fastest way currently would be to leave the dashboard up (taking screen space), click the portfolio window to select it, and then click the edit icon in the portfolio section of the dashboard....a bit faster.  Anyway, a faster way to get to the portfolio list so the NOTE field can be edited would be extremely helpful...perhaps a separate icon, or right-click selection???

I filter out a lot of stocks that are moving each morning and use the NOTE field to point out what is going on so I'll know whether to consider or avoid trading that stock, thus my concern for being able to quickly edit the corresponding NOTE field.

Thanks,

Tim

I plan to add inline editing for notes and some other fields in the future, but cannot really deal with it at this point.

as for edit, note that there is a launcher button in the ribbon group that has the portfolio selection.  Look at the bottom right corner of the ribbon group. Clicking on it takes you right to the edit screen.

note that MT has a button on all windows to bring up the dashboard, so if your ribbon is normally completely hidden, you can use that

Separate icon ... possibility. will have to see if it can fit into the UI