Medved Trader Forums

Close All

JerryS

Question

Closing MT is cumbersome.  Almost all software (inappropriately) allows the use of the X in the upper-right corner to close a program.  QT did that, for instance.  So it is a habit that everybody has formed -- and it's really hard to break.

Unfortunately, MT doesn't consider a portfolio window to be the main program unit (because it considers the Dashboard to be the main program unit).  And MT has gone a wee bit farther and doesn't allow closing the Dashboard, but you can hide it.

As a result, for all of you who consider your portfolio window to be the main program, you have to go through the totally annoying steps of expanding the portfolio window to expose the drop-downs, then select File, then select Exit.  I absolutely hate that, and so do most of you.

But there is a potential solution.  All portfolio windows have a Minimize All button at the top ribbon on the right side.  The icon of that button is a wee bit too complex and should be simplified (eliminate one of the arrows and make the image a wee bit larger), but at least the button works and minimizes all windows with one click.

Suggestion: Put another button right next to the Minimize All button, and make it function as Close All.  A window could open and ask if you are sure, and that would give one last chance to backup files or change your mind.  But if you click Yes, everything closes.

Bingo!  Problem solved.

4 answers to this question

1) the beta version has a big red EXIT tile on the dashboard window, as well as on the dashboard dropdown on all windows

2) you can add the exit button to any portfolio window or dashboard window caption.  Select FILE menu and RIGHT-Click on the red Exit button and select "Add to Quick Access Toolbar"

Son of a gun.  Cool!

Would still like to see Minimize All brightened up a bit.  That's an important button to me, and because of its smallish-grayish appearance I didn't even see it for a long time.  Probably accidentally discovered it as I panned the mouse over it, causing its info window to pop up.

While I'm here.  I've read where others have sometimes had trouble getting data from TDA.

I've had that problem a few times.  Again this morning in fact, and it was really irritating me.  Couldn't figure out how to goose TDA, change servers, whatever.  Imagined them all asleep at their desks.  I think I tried re-logging in, and that didn't help.  Tried quitting program and reloading, and that didn't do anything the first time, but finally worked the third time -- not a charm to me.  Thought there might be some mix up as this is supposedly the last day for QT.