Medved Trader Forums

Hugh memory use

mmoy

I had to restart MT and VM usage is stable below 400 MB. I did a bunch of operations (added portfolio, added intraday charts, modified some positions) and maybe some operation that I did triggered something. I'll let it run for a few hours to see if there's a leak somewhere. If not, then it looks like some operation is leading to memory leaks.

It's not clear to me when the problem started as I have had some very slow behavior, particularly when switching portfolios, in the past. I only thought to look at VM from the other post. I played around with a few things and haven't been able to reproduce the problem. I think that I need to figure out how to reliably reproduce the problem before trying an instrumented image.

For my reference:

Operations: Adding portfolio, Changing portfolio, delete/add/move column in portfolio, resize to fit all, add charts, move charts, resize charts

I went to a meeting at 2 PM where it was around 420 MB and it's at 11 GB at 3:30 PM.  So maybe it is reproducible or maybe it's somewhat time-based. I'll send you an email to see what you have available. I guess what I'd like to try tomorrow is to just start it up and leave it running without doing anything and see if it gets to this state.

I started it up premarket, left it running and it was at 11 GB after an hour. So I don't need to do anything to reproduce it. I restarted it so I could see the market but will work on backing up my configuration to try with older versions but I'll do that later this morning after the market settles down (assuming that it does).

y, we WILL get it fixed. Just not an easy one. It does not happen on any of our systems :( but does on yours and at least a few others. (confirm the versions for me )

And to make things more interesting, I literally looked at all the code changes between those versions line by line. Really cannot see anything that would cause problems.

Will be restoring everything to last properly working version and then building back up to track down the issue. 

This is a top priority item for us right now

I'm just posting what I'm seeing.

I assume that you're working on it.

You don't have to reply to these - they're more informational for you and for me to keep track of what I've done so far.

VM leaks are among the toughest of problems to resolve.

1357 has been running for about 2 hours with no problems.  I'll leave it running for another few and then try 1360.

We tried a number of things but in the end, it appears that C# programs can use up the free memory on the system as part of the normal garbage collection process. I suspect that this behavior is Windows 10 but I don't know enough about Windows 10 to be sure. There are problems with Windows 10 related to memory leaks, device drivers, etc. and there was a recent update that did hose some systems in performance.

I ran the same setup on WIndows 7 and had no memory issues so my plan is to run Medved Trader on a Windows 7 Virtual Machine under Windows 10.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm trading from home this afternoon and set up the latest version of MT on a system nearly identical to the one in the office. I only have 13 charts up but it's not showing the VM problems that the office system showed under Windows 10. I may give Windows 10 another shot at the office. I think that I can fix the large title bars problem by bringing in a higher resolution monitor.