Medved Trader Forums

Data Accuracy, StockCharts.com vs MT

JerryS

Comparing data between StockCharts.com and MT, there is a difference.

MT shows the same result for data sources of either Yahoo or TDA.  The difference gets larger when looking farther back in time.

After doing a little checking, the difference appears to be due to dividends.  If so, how can I turn that off so that my charts agree with Stockcharts.com?

I don't have a membership with SC, so I don't even know if they have a switch to turn ON/OFF dividend adjustment.  However, I look at their charts all the time and my very recent and limited comparison of their public (non-membership) chart and an MT chart after turning ON dividend adjustment now matches.

When you refer to what most sources do, I presume you are referring to data sources and not chart sources.  StockCharts.com is by far the most common chart I see posted at iHub, and it is the only online chart I use, and I use it very frequently.  They are adjusted for dividends

FWIW, I did a search of MT Help for "dividend".  Only one thing came up and it said nothing about being able to turn ON or OFF dividend adjustment.  I almost didn't even look in Help because I rarely find what I'm looking for there.  You know, you can purchase software for automatically generating word lists for making indexes.  Get the hint?

I am referring to how charts are displayed - Stockcharts is popular but certainly not the only one.  

I brought up MT help. Typed in "Dividend".  First thing that came up was "Adjusting Historical Charts for Dividends" which is exactly what you want. 

https://www.medvedtrader.com/trader/WebHelp/adjusting_for_dividends.htm?zoom_highlightsub=dividend

We have a problem Houston:

Searching on "Dividend" causes another subject to turn up but not the one you have.  To get what you have requires typing in "Dividends".  See the difference?  Your search engine cares about the "s".

Your Help search engine should not be plural sensitive.  There are probably a few other suffixes that the search engine should not be sensitive to.

Nope.

Did it many times, over and over.  Just did it again.  Even closed the program and restarted it, and did it again.

Get one response without the s, get a different single response with the s, never get two responses.

After you do the search, make sure you hit the Display button, or double-click the list, to refresh your display of the result.

Well, I only get one response for each search, and they are different.  One for dividend and a different response for dividends.

Maybe you should look into how updates are done as to how all older files are treated.  Perhaps it is best to completely uninstall an older installation before updating to a newer version (as opposed to installing over an older version).

The last time I got a message to update, I waited a few days till the weekend to download the file and install it.  On the following day I turned on the program and got another message saying I needed to update.  I thought, wow, somebody must have found a serious bug.

I can honestly say I've never seen those choices before.  I'll give it a try.

You know, I think a better human interface design decision would have had those three little (but important) choices that are now tucked in the bottom-left corner placed instead at the top with all the other choices.  What's more, those three choices are only visible when the search tab is selected, in which case the eyes are focused where all the action is -- at the upper left-hand corner.

The Help window has to be set quite large because of the large font and images, so it's not obvious that there are selection choices in the lower-left corner particularly when there is so much room to put them at the top of the window, much closer to where the eyes are focused.  I guess you could have done worse by putting them in the lower right-hand corner, but at least they would have eventually been found there as one drags the sliding tab down and follows that with their eyes.

human interface design:   http://tinyurl.com/gm43jtq

• 8 months later...

Late to this thread, but I also only see one entry for Dividend(s), for adjusting historical charts, which brings me to my own question - I have my charts set to show events earnings and dividends, but for one of my stocks that went ex-div on 10/27/17 the chart is not showing that one, historical backfill using a variety of sources didn't help - where does that data come from and how long should it take to show up in a chart?

Thanks Jerry - the update fixed the missing ex-div dates. Another question - are you aware that Yahoo is now blocking very popular Excel macros from downloading delayed stock quotes and other data, some of which are very important to me and I'm sure many others - data for NAV, BV, P/B, or CEF discount/premiums - that stuff is critical to me, especially premium/discount #'s or calcs using BV to MP. I see MT does not have columns for that data either - any way to implement it, and more importantly, create the ability to export daily data into a CSV file Excel can read?

Someone mentioned that but I don't think we used that request type in a long time, so I haven't seen the issue.  NAV - I think we get that now - shows in LAST.  Can't really add those columns since Yahoo is the only datafeed that would fill them.   

As for storing daily data in CSV - you can just copy/paste from HISTORICAL DATA window (right click on hist chart and select Historical Data). will have other options in the future.

Wow - this Yahoo data embargo has wrecked damn near every historical data website on the net - just checked a bunch I have bookmarked for CEFs I own, every single one of them is returning "no data available" or has a diverted web page that something like " XXX is not currently available" - going to affect MT somewhat too, since IIRC a previous question I had for you was how to fill in "Avg. Vol" column, and solution was backfill with historical Yahoo data - I assume that's no longer going to work, and there's no replacement for the data unless you work out a deal with Yahoo to pay for it? Went to Yahoo Finance historical data for one of my stocks, and the "download to CSV" link is no longer at the top of the page, so this data embargo is not limited to Excel macros, it's a total embargo for all stock data downloads - I could still copy/paste into Excel, but that ain't gonna happen, too time consuming.. Can't download CEFConnect data either, which is really my biggest need - daily CEF premium/discounts.

Edited by ex_hacker202
added a sentence

Edited my post, didn't expect you to answer in seconds, LOL. Good to know MT still has access to Yahoo data! BTW, finally bought a Win10 PC, just starting to move files and apps over to it - can I run MT from 2 PC's simultaneously while testing the new one (going to take > 1 month to migrate), and will the monthly payments stop automatically once I'm able to log in to Ally Invest on the new PC, or do I need to contact you to cancel the payments?

• 1 year later...

While trying to find something else, I fell on this thread. We're on Sept. 2019, and it's been way over due for an update about Stockcharts (I am a subscriber).

Usually, charts are displayed with adjusted dividends. To see the "unadjusted" dividend charts, you simply add an underscore before the symbol, like this:

AAPL  (adjusted for dividends)

_AAPL (unadjusted)

But, maybe that question was answer since 2017!