Medved Trader Forums

Really FAST Quotes

carawlins

I was watching your YouTube video on setting up MT and one thing that I noticed was that the quotes, as shown in the video, seemed to be posting really FAST. My quotes come through relatively fast but not as fast as what was shown in your video. I would like to replicate what you have set up. Is it related to settings or data source. I am using Ally and TD Ameritrade as my data sources. Any feedback from you is appreciated. Thanks!

P.S. I noticed that you were using Tradier as your data source in the YouTube video.

Edited by carawlins

That was using Tradier.  Ally Invest should be the same way.  TD Ameritrade has tick quotes, but they tend to come in bursts which may look as if they are not as fast. Default though is aggregated quotes, which means the update occurs every 1/2 sec or so. You would also get that with subscription sources such as IQFeed and Money.net.

Thanks for the reply! So it appears as though Ally is a bit "faster" than TD Ameritrade since TDA quotes come in bursts. So if you were to choose between Ally, Tradier or TDA, which one would provide the fastest quotes (all other things being equal). Does enabling something called API have anything to do with the speed of quotes? Finally, out of curiosity, why did you use Tradier as your data source in the YouTube video? Thanks!

Used Tradier in that video because we were making that video to show Tradier integration :)

API is Application Programming Interface and is just the way for MT to get quotes from whatever source. If it was not enabled, MT wouldn't be able to connect at all, so that is not relevant for the speeds.

They all have their advantages and disadvantages.  I would rather not pick favorites.

I totally understand. Thanks you so much for the feedback. I had actually not even heard of Tradier until I saw your video. Looks interesting. I will take a look at them.

One last question and I will not bother you anymore today. I noticed, under the Options, Data Sources selections something called "Smart Source Priority". It is defaulted to normal but what is that anyway? Take care!

Smart Source is an option you can select for Backfill source instead of picking a quote source explicitly. It is also used for selecting which quote source to use for charts when more than one is active in MT.  Setting the Smart Source priority tells MT that when there are multiple datafeeds that meet the needed criteria for the backfill source or quote source, to pick the one with the higher priority.  So for example if you have POSITIONS from IB with stock AAPL and a portfolio open from TD Ameritrade that also has AAPL in it, if you open a chart, you may not be sure which one MT will pick for the quotes and backfill. If you set TD Ameritrade Smart Source priority higher, it will pick TDA in that situation

Thanks for the feedback Jerry. I have not had to visit the forums here lately because MT has been running rock solid without ANY issues. You all continue to do a great job and your support is top notch. I refer as many people as I can to your service. Take care and  enjoy the rest of your Sunday!