Medved Trader Forums

Thumbnail Charts

itsmadvil

Question

One of the unique feature I like about IB is the ability to create multiple thumbnail charts to watch interesting tickers to trade as seen below:

IB_thumb.jpg

Such feature is not yet available in the MT, unless you want to create individual charts and arrange it..

What I like about the MT is the feature to copy and paste list of symbols to create the portfolio, and display single large chart.

But would love to have rather displaying it single chart but candle stick chart.

Which would be amazing feature to add and will help two fold:

1: No need to create thumbnail charts for individual symbol

2: Can instantly add a list of symbols in watchlist/portfolio.

MT.jpg

Edited by itsmadvil
Could not add the images

5 answers to this question

HI @itsmadvil

You can copy symbols into a portfolio now. Just copy a list of symbols - can be one per line, or comma or space separated. Just paste right into the portfolio you want (you can delete existing symbols in the portfolio if you want to first)

Those are not really thumbnail charts. Those are IB's regular charts, just layout out in a grid.  Don't have a way to do it automatically at this time unless you want the tiled view (the picture that you posted). May add it later.

If you want, there is a bit of a workaround that you can do.  Minimize all the windows other than the charts you want tiled. Put all the charts on the monitor(s) where you want them tiled. Now just right click on an empty area on the window's taskbar and select to "Show windows side by side)

Hello Jerry,

Thanks for answer.

What I love about MT is as you just described:

You can copy symbols into a portfolio now. Just copy a list of symbols - can be one per line, or comma or space separated. Just paste right into the portfolio you want (you can delete existing symbols in the portfolio if you want to first).

Also various ways to display portfoilo symbols, especially "TILE-Simple Large chart".

I am not sure if other platforms has this feature, I tires IB, multicharts sierra charts and Ninja.

This is really a unique feature provided by MT.

And it can be further enhanced if an option to display the symbols in Candlesticks.

That will definitely help MT to stand out as a platform.

Also I tried using your work work around as shown below, but there are few issues:

1:  I have to manually update/change the symbols one at a time for each chart.

2:- I can not get the chart to be displayed in my trader to see the big picture when I click either of these charts as oppose to portfolio symbol can be instantly updated and displayed in my main trader.

image.png

Main Trader:

MT.jpg.2ee0cff2bfaab7b4f29f47e46498e6ae.jpg

What really desired is to display the portfolio/watch list symbols in candle sticks:

That would be really a  wonderful addition/feature of MT and will make MT the most effective way to create wishlists and monitor few dozen symbols especially at the market open.

Thanks.

Portfolio.thumb.jpg.3d387565504e3248400389ac1a08c706.jpg

Edited by itsmadvil