Medved Trader Forums

SPY Option charting

kalmen

You can. However, TD Ameritrade does not provide backfill for options. So if you put the option into a portfolio (NOT just on option chain), MT will store any quotes that come in and chart those, but you cannot backfill to get previous trades with TDA.  You can however get the backfill from Yahoo or Google. On the chart, click on the dropdown area on the backfill button and select "Backfill Using..." and then select Yahoo or Google. that should get some data.

Still does not work, this is very frustrating.

I DO OPEN the option chart from the IBM Option chain window, is that why it does not work either using Yahoo  data? I am unsure how to change a symbol in a Hist. Chart window that is already open, as I have always opened charts  by right clicking the symbol from a watch list.

I have added the IBM option symbol (((  .IBM_171215C155  )))  into my watch list, right clicked both the Hist &  Intraday charts with Yahoo as data source in the chart window and still NO BACKFILL--> do I have to change the data source for my watch list also to make this work? If so, I'll PASS on trying to figure this out.

Sorry for effort but if we can't fix this I'll revert back to the TOS charting system for this matter.

PS.. I am doing now this AFTER the Market has closed could that be a problem as to the timing and maybe it works tomorrow....just saying.........

changing symbol in a chart window that is already open - you can just type the new symbol. Or if the symbol is in a portfolio, option chain, etc, you can drag it to the chart window

Backfill - first off, Historical chart will NOT work, at least not with Yahoo and and no option backfill (intraday or hist) with TD Ameritrade. This is not our restriction. That is just life with those two datafeeds. If you need Historical chart backfill for options, you would need to get a subscription datafeed such as IQFeed. I know they have it. 

Now, I didn't tell you to switch any data source on the watchlist.  Leave that on TD Ameritrade.  All you need to to is on the Intraday chart, click on the dropdown portion of the Backfill Button, Select Backfill <symbol> Using... and select Yahoo (Picture below)

image.png

that will backfill the chart. If you have it set to 1 min candles, you may want to switch to line charts or longer frequency candles.

In the next update of MT, I made it so the default "Smart Source" will know not to select TD Ameritrade for option backfill, which should make it work without having to explicitly select Yahoo