Medved Trader Forums

ASX data and charts

wyldegoos

Though Yahoo has full and clean ASX data at Yahoo Finance, yet in MT many ASX stocks show no data in portfolio and no volume on the charts. Is this an issue with the data coming from Yahoo or an issue with the way the data is handled? An example is BBG.AX (Billabong International Ltd.) 

File sent as requested.

Another interesting point is that if I use the symbol you suggested (BBG:ASX) I get a chart without volume, but if I use BBG:AX (a hybrid between the Yahoo symbol and the MT symbol) I get portfolio data and a chart without volume. 

The volume indicator is installed and works on all the Canadian and American stocks and some of the Australian stocks. But on most of the stocks I have tried to chart, so far, I get four volume bars on the left of the chart that extend all the way to the top of the volume panel and there are no other volume bars.  

With respect to Australian stocks, I find that both suffixes work.

The example in this thread, for  example, BBG:ASX  and BBG.AX.  Both show idenfitical charts and the volume bars are there too. with Yahoo as the source.

However, Yahoo, while free, is notoriously inaccurate with data, either totally wrong for given days, or missing days.

Hopefully we will get undelayed  Australian feeds from Comsec (Commonwealth Securities), National Australia Bank,  and delayed from the Australian Securities Exchange (ASX).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm following the ASX and my intraday charts stop updating at 13:00. All of the other components of MT continue to update. Is there a problem with the exchange open hours in the settings? Is the Time Zone of UTC+10 correct (should it be something other than 10)?

I've tried to also set  a unique time zone in the settings but I still can't get the charts to update past 13:00.

Thanks for any assistance

@barnabyj

This would happen if you are using Yahoo as the source, and not using MT's symbol format for specifying ASX symbols. MT thinks it is a US symbol and assigns US Equities timeframe to it. You can manually change the timeframe on the chart/view, but the better thing to do would be to use MT symbol format. That way backfill news, etc would work smoothly regardless of which source you change to

Use SYMBOL:ASX format. For example:
ANZ:ASX

with a colon separator

sleep - certainly feels like not getting enough. Not as young as I used to be :)

With Commsec, it should always default to AU timeframe. I checked here by entering just the symbol and it seemed to have worked. How did you have the symbols entered?

NOTE: that even though it would work with Commsec, those symbols would NOT work correctly with Google or AU, So it is still best to add the :ASX suffix

Hi Jerry

I still haven't managed to crack the setup for the timeframe of the ASX charts (using Commsec as the data). Today the charts stopped updating at 12:42 and not 4:00 PM which is the market close time - so the charts did not update the full session.

My symbols are in the MT format eg CBA:ASX and my other settings are:

Charts/Timeframes - Australian Equities set as default. Time Zone (UTC + 10:00) set as default. Active Market Hours 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM

On the Charts / View the Timeframe is set to Australian Equities.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

you said the charts stopped updating.  What about the quotes?   If quotes too, then click on the time shown on the status bar of the portfolio (where it says Market Opens in.. or Market Closes in...).  Is Australian Equities selected there as well?

Do you see bandwidth usage on the dashboard for CommSec, same as when things are working?

If you restart MT, does it start updating?

When this happens, I need to see the log and the page being returned.  Do this next time you see this in MT:

1)      Set log level to 100 on the dashboard (there is a combo box for that)

2)      Force a refresh or let it refresh a few times

3)      go to FILE / Export Settings. 

4)      Leave the checkboxes already checked, and also check LOG FILE.

5)      Export, then email me the exported file  as well as the file named COMMSEC_Quote.html located in
"%localappdata%\2GK\Medved Trader\Temp\Streamers

Jerry