Medved Trader Forums
erician

Candles that close higher than open being hollow and candles that close lower then open being solid

Question

Would love the option to have the body of a candle that closes higher then it opened being hollow and the body of a candle that closes lower then when it opened being solid.  

TD ameritrade offers this and I can't tell you how useful it is for momentum traders as you can get a better feel of the 'real' direction in a green candle or red candle . 

Every trader friend I know uses this and is a huge part of their success.

I have included a picture.

Capture.JPG

6 answers to this question

Candles that close higher than open are green in MT and that close lower than open are red. In your example, they are green or red, hollow or solid. So if the color in MT is replaced by being solid or hollow, what does the color of the candle in your pic signify?

Mike

If they close lower then the PRIOR candle they are red, like you cite, but thats not what I am saying.  

THe pic I provded shows a candle that may have gapped higher then the previous candle and it may have closed higher then the previous but if all it did was drop lower the enture candle, it would be solid showing the candle 'sold off'

Many traders, like myself, use this to see a visual representation of how strong or how weak is the buying power/selling power was in that particular candle, thus possibly giving hints as to possible momentum.

On 2/24/2018 at 12:19 PM, Mike Medved said:

Candles that close higher than open are green in MT and that close lower than open are red. In your example, they are green or red, hollow or solid. So if the color in MT is replaced by being solid or hollow, what does the color of the candle in your pic signify?

I would like to know the answer erician

On 2/24/2018 at 1:09 PM, Jerry Medved said:

will look