Medved Trader Forums

Portfolio Size Limitation

Doug Hayman

Hi team,

I'm an old Quotetracker user, and am looking into your new Medved Trader system as a one-stop shop for my trading needs.

I apologize in advance if this is a silly question, but I couldn't find the answer in your existing forum posts.

I'm looking to apply some fairly simple scans to the universe of NYSE stocks.  Is there a limitation (either physical or practical) on the size that a Portfolio can be in Medved Traders?

Would inputting the universe of NYSE stocks in a portfolio either hit a physical max that your software would limit me to, or would there be severe application degradation doing something like this?

I'm on a powerful Win10Pro system, and would be using TD Ameritrade as my data source.

Thank you in advance,

Doug

Assuming you get a Premium access subscription, there is no limit in MT on the portfolio size. The limitation would be on # of symbols that you can stream at the same time with the datafeed, and in the case of TD Ameritrade, that is currently set to 1500. You may want to pre-filter your list to 1500 on some broad criteria, then enter the 1500 symbols into MT to use for the real-time scanning.

OK Jerry, thank you very much for your prompt response.  I also have IB (I trade from IB), but if remember correctly, the limitation on # of symbols with IB is less than 1,500 (please correct me if I'm wrong).  I can certainly pre-filter my original list to get down to that 1,500 #, so that will work.

Congrats on your new creation; I look forward to learning how to use it and test it.

Doug

Jerry, apologies in advance on this OT question, but I know that you are intimate with TD Ameritrade data feed.

I have 2 MT portfolios active running against TD data feed.  The sum total of symbols across both feeds exceeds 1,800 symbols.  To the best of my knowledge, I have no issues receiving updates across all 1,800 symbols.

Is the 1,500 symbol limit that you noted above on a per portfolio basis (i.e., per dedicated stream) or is it across all open portfolios (not sure if you guys use the same socket connection and stream for all).

In any event, I don't see a 1,500 limit being invoked across my 2 portfolios.  If I switch to an IB data feed, for example, I get alerted that I cannot exceed 100 symbols (not sure if this is an IB message passed along or an MT generated msg).

Thanks in advance.