Medved Trader Forums

Time and sales only

lilboy716

I mostly use medved time and sales window.  I find it very annoying that I have to change symbol in my broker's platform, then go into Medved to change symbol in the time&sales window, then go to the portfolio window to add the security.

Feature request:

Can you add a feature, (with a checkbox, turned off by default, to not annoy others), that allows me to type in a symbol into T&S and also get this symbol added to the portfolio so I can get my quotes & backfills?

Thanks

1) why do you need to add it in your broker's platform?

2) cannot do that. However, maybe slight change to the workflow for you would resolve the issue:

Link the portfolio and Raw Data window with the same color symbol linking pin (upper left corner of each screen)
when you need to add a symbol, just add it to the portfolio (just start typing).  Then just click on the newly added symbol, or hit the UP button on the keyboard and that will also select the new row and switch the linked symbol

24 minutes ago, Jerry Medved said:

1) why do you need to add it in your broker's platform?

2) cannot do that. However, maybe slight change to the workflow for you would resolve the issue:

Link the portfolio and Raw Data window with the same color symbol linking pin (upper left corner of each screen)
when you need to add a symbol, just add it to the portfolio (just start typing).  Then just click on the newly added symbol, or hit the UP button on the keyboard and that will also select1 the new row and switch the linked symbol

1. i like my brokers entry window, my broker's feed is @#$T.   renders their T&S useless.

2. i have more than one t&s window, each t&s correspond with a brokers entry window.

can you make it so that if a symbol is typed into T&S, it gets backed with a feed without adding to the portfolio?  it seems like a symbol has to be in the portfolio so that a T&S view can be bond to that link.

Raw data window itself is passive - does not subscribe to quotes. However, you can still get it to do it even without adding a symbol to the portfolio.  To extend my suggestion above about linking portfolio and raw data window - open an intraday chart window. Link it with the same color as well.

Now, when you enter a symbol on the raw data window, it will cause the chart window to change to that symbol as well. When it does that, the chart window will subscribe to the quotes and you will get updates in the raw data window :).  This assumes you have the charts set to do active subscriptions, which is a default. If you don't need the chart, just minimize it. 

2 minutes ago, Jerry Medved said:

Raw data window itself is passive - does not subscribe to quotes. However, you can still get it to do it even without adding a symbol to the portfolio.  To extend my suggestion above about linking portfolio and raw data window - open an intraday chart window. Link it with the same color as well.

Now, when you enter a symbol on the raw data window, it will cause the chart window to change to that symbol as well. When it does that, the chart window will subscribe to the quotes and you will get updates in the raw data window :).  This assumes you have the charts set to do active subscriptions, which is a default. If you don't need the chart, just minimize it. 

got it...  your method linking chart to a T&S is a valid work around for me.  consider this issue resolved.  thanks.

what do you think of the idea that if I change a symbol in this chart window, and have that symbol added to a portfolio automatically.   Here's the use case: I have a stock scanner, I linked it to medved chart, and if the scanner show me a symbol and i click on it, that symbol should be added to a viewed portfolio for my future references for rest of the trading day.