Medved Trader Forums

Three Month Avg Volume Problems

wyldegoos

Jerry,

When I first open up MT and go to a portfolio, for example my "uranium" watchlist, my three month avg volume data is generally good. (I am using TDA for my default.) But as I scroll through my watchlist sorted by three month avg. volume, things get all messed up. First of all, my Australian stocks go to an empty box for three month avg. volume and then they jump down to the bottom of the list. Secondly, the low volume stocks --- primarily pinks sheets, grey sheets, venture, and toronto, but a few Amex too --- change to an avg. volume that is way too high and jump up. This is driving me bonkers. I am assuming that this is due to MT figuring the three month avg. volume from the chart and that this chart figured avg volume takes precedence over the data I receive from TDA. The problem is, most of my Australian charts show no volume on the chart and the low volume otc stocks may only show two or three bars in a shortened month and skip all the days without volume. This drops the volume to nil for my Australian stocks and jumps the volume way up for the low volume otc stocks. So my question is: 

Can I turn off figuring avg volume from the charts?

Or can I set something so that my TDA data (or some other data) takes precedence over the chart figured avg volume? 

Lee

TDA does not provide Average volume at all. Some AU data sources do. If you backfill Hist data (like when opening a Hist Chart), MT calculates the average.  Of course if you use Google for AU backfills, that would be a problem since they do not return volume. Only thing I can do is NOT record the avg vol from hist data if it is zero

Thanks. For the time being I have found a workaround. I designated Yahoo for both backfill and historical backfill which eliminated the Google volume problems on the charts. I also set up two different column layouts, one with the three month column and one without.