Medved Trader Forums

Formula Language

vrtrader64

Question

This may be asking too much, but is it possible that in addition to built-in indicators, MT could implement an easy-to-use language so end-users may code custom indicators or functions?

(See AmiBroker and Quantshare for examples of such languages, along with Tradestation, Multicharts, SierraChart and NinjaTrader)  

9 answers to this question

We do not plan to do "EasyLanguage" specifically. However, we designed MT with custom indicators in mind. In fact, all of the indicators in MT are dynamically compiled at run time, so if a user was to write their own, they would compile them the same way.

We don't have the proper structure yet for allowing a user to do that, nor do we have the documentation for it, but eventually the plan is to do exactly that.

• Like 1

We do not plan to do "EasyLanguage" specifically. However, we designed MT with custom indicators in mind. In fact, all of the indicators in MT are dynamically compiled at run time, so if a user was to write their own, they would compile them the same way.

We don't have the proper structure yet for allowing a user to do that, nor do we have the documentation for it, but eventually the plan is to do exactly that.

Excellent!

The following questions are probably premature, given that your plans for this "language" are in the making, but bear with me...

I am wondering if it will be possible to access the L2 order book data from within the language (it would put MT at the top of the pack in terms of capability)

Also, will it be possible to access account-level data (margin use, open orders, etc.). If yes, will this be event-driven, or will polling (snapshots) be necessary?

I am thinking along the lines of being able to develop entirely automated trading strategies, which would need feedback on what is going on with the account and also order status, etc. 

Can we look forward to all of this?

I am returning to this topic after some time has elapsed to see if you have any further thoughts on it.

Also, I am wondering if as an interim you might implement something simpler than full-blown C# integration - example: enable custom-formula cells in quotegrid (similar to Excel or other spreadsheet).

Thanks.

whatever we implement will definitely be C# since I certainly don't want to write a new language (as we did in QT) and already have everything working with C#. All the indicators in MT are written same exact way that an end-user would. They are even dynamically compiled at runtime, which is how I can update a single indicator or single site configuration file without you having to do a full update. 

It is really a matter of setting up all the UI and validation to make stuff user friendly, and all the documentation. 

Understood.

C# is widely used and well-documented - I can also see that creating docs for MT will be time-consuming and you'd wait until things are pretty well stabilized.

That said, is there or will there soon be a way for a user to add (via C#) custom-calculated cells in the quotegrid ?