Medved Trader Forums

any safeguard possible to prevent this?

vireya

I put in a sell order for 9.24

by mistake, I hit 9,   enter,   24

there was no confirmation to sell

I ended up with the stock sold at 9, and the transactions blank except for 24 in the symbol space

usually I get a confirmation request for the action

ALSO

SOME days, like today, I did NOT get the request for me to enter my password, like on other days

TIA

First about the password stuff - The only way you can do trading without having a password request popup at least once is if:

1) you have Security set to "Once per session"

AND

2) you manually logged into MT

If you have the password saved for MT startup, then MT logs in automatically, so you never entered a password explicitly, and because of that, MT will prompt you.  However, if you manually entered the password on startup, that counts as the "once" per session, and you will not be prompted again.  If you don't want that, you can change the security setting to be "Once per session, per account"

Now as far as the mistake on the order... The ENTER key does not do anything when in the price field so I don't see how the situation you described could occur.  I tried it with both TDA and IB, with both types of settings for Action Buttons and could not get anything like that to happen. Only way an ENTER would send the order is if the focus is on the Action button.

Please give me the details about your settings either here or via email. Broker, Settings selected on Trading / Security,  Settings selected on Trading / General

Broker... TDAmeritrade

Settings selected on Trading / Security...once/session (I had not closed down last nite, so password was still active from yesterday, right?

Settings selected on Trading / General...

dbl click on bid/ask

dbl click on LAST

confirm all trans...

clear trade tix...

show prompt for success...

Yes, password would be active from previous day unless you set it to be the "Inactive more than x minutes" option.  That one is same as "Once per session" but with a timeout. Transactions reset the timeout. If you don't do any trade within the specified timeout, then it will prompt you again, so you could set it to 900 min or something like that if you want to be prompted if left overnight

If you have confirm all trans, there really is no way that the trade would go through without the prompt, unless you set that afterwards. The log file would show any such prompts, so if you want, send me the file. It doesn't show the settings at the time though.