Medved Trader Forums

Chart Trace - Freezing to move between charts

vrtrader64

This may warrant a new  thread, but it is trace-related, so I will ask here for a tweak to how trace works.

Currently, I have trace "always on", and I I have trace-linked multiple different time-frame charts. I can move the trace in one chart, and it will correspondingly move in the other linked charts - as expected.

However, if I want to move the mouse from one chart into another, without disturbing the trace position, I cannot easily do it - the sensitivity and speed of MT makes it easy to disturb the position of the trace in moving to the other chart.

So I would like to "freeze" the trace, and then "unfreeze" it after moving to the second chart.

I approximate this by right-clicking in he first chart (which brings up the context menu, making the trace disappear) - but upon arrival into the second chart the trace still moves.

Could you tweak MT to leave the trace frozen until the user right-clicks a second time (when the context menu disappears)? 

Thanks !

at least for me, it does not hide the menu when I right click 2nd time.

What I can do is make it so when you right click, it will not hide the trace. However, if you have a second chart linked and you move over it, that chart's trace will move and since they are linked, it will move the original chart's trace cursor even if it still has the menu.

I see what you are suggesting, and it may be OK - some people may even prefer it to what I propose, which I clarify below.

What I meant is that it is helpful to be able to purposely freeze the trace temporarily, so moving the mouse does not disturb trace position. This is very useful when moving into a 2nd trace-linked chart.

I partially achieve this effect by right-clicking in 1st chart, which brings up the menu and makes the trace disappear, but at least does not move....until the mouse moves into the 2nd chart.

What I'd like is for the trace to remain on the screen, frozen until i right-click again,  perhaps in the 2nd chart; then pick up from there.

Makes sense?

Understood about independence of charts - but - since "freezing the trace" is what we are discussing, I would like for there to be a way for the trace to remain visible and frozen as one is moving the mouse from one chart into another.

It's really important to be able to move to another chart without things moving around on you unexpectedly; and without having to be super-careful about mouse placement in the process of moving from chart1  to chart2.