Medved Trader Forums

Startup Wizard - Need user input

Jerry Medved

I want to do a Startup wizard to guide the user through some common setup options that everyone will need. For example:

• Select Level I quote source
  • Specify some symbols for initial portfolio

Now the question is, what else would be so common for everyone,  that would warrant it being in the startup wizard. I was thinking maybe selecting the display timezone, though I think MT defaults that pretty well, so don't know if that is really needed. Anything else?

Please respond here with your thoughts

I assume that people from other coutries will be using this Software as well.

So, Start with

• Select your Time Zone and your Culture
  • Select your Data Sources
  • Select your Time Frame

That will set anyone going in the right track to run it.  Then all other configurations are according to one’s taste.

Yes, they will be but MT defaults the display timezone and the culture based on the current computer settings, so vast majority of people shouldn't need to mess with that. Did the defaulting not work OK for you?

Default timeframe - yes, that could be one item, though I'm thinking - will someone who has not used MT Yet know the relevance of the Default Timeframe?

Did the defaulting not work OK for you?

Default timeframe - yes, that could be one item, though I'm thinking - will someone who has not used MT Yet know the relevance of the Default Timeframe?

I don't really know.  But for the heck of it, I tested with different Time zone, but the culture didn't change with it... For example, I chose Japan, but the culture still US English.  I don't know it would change with their PC settings..

Regarding Timeframe, If they are using different Exchanges than US, then they have to change it, don't they?

I Suggest "Select Currency Base Unit". 

Probably not an issue for US quotes, which are always in Dollars. But in the UK, prices are sometimes quoted in Pounds and sometimes in Pence.

Also, symbols for an initial portfolio would need to be market-specific.

Mike