Medved Trader Forums

NEW DASHBOARD User Interface

Jerry Medved

We got rid of the old, somewhat ugly dashboard, and replaced it with a completely redesigned one. Here are some key features:

FLOATING LOGO & DASHBOARD - you will notice that while MT is running, it shows a floating logo on the desktop. That logo will stay on top of other windows.  Clicking on that logo will bring up a dashboard window that will look something like this:

Dashboard.png

NOTE the X close button on top right of the logo. You can use that to close MT.
Location of the Logo determines the location of the Dashboard, and vice versa.  If you move the logo to be on far right, bottom of the screen and then click on it, it will show the dashboard above and to the left of the logo. Moving the logo will move the Dashboard (and vice versa)

AUTO MINIMIZE - If the Auto Minimize option is selected (Top Right of the dashboard), then when you click on a tile that brings up another window, the dashboard will automatically minimize

MENU - Everything that is available as a Tile on the dashboard is also available via the menu.  If you want to go really minimalist, you can resize the dashboard so only the menu is visible.

RE-ARRANGING TILES - you can re-arrange the tiles by dragging them in whatever order you like

SMALL TILES - there is an option in the SETTINGS Menu to change dashboard to use small tiles, if you wish to conserve space.

REMOVING TILES - If there is a tile on the dashboard that you don't need, you can remove it.  Just right click on it and select the option to remove.

ADDING TILES Back - If you previously removed the tile and then decide you want to add it back, just find the corresponding MENU Item and just DRAG / DROP it onto the TILE area.

TILE DETAILS - some tiles will show you relevant details. For example, Alert Editor tile (once we enable it) will show number of alerts defined and number of alerts triggered.  Edit Portfolios shows you the number of Portfolios and Watchlists defined.  Open Portfolio tile brings up another tile list with all the portfolios, and for each one it shows # of symbols and the last used quote source.

3 DIFFERENT VIEWS - There are 3 views on the Dashboard window: 
  • DASHBOARD - the default view containing all the tiles
  • ACTIVE SOURCES - The list of currently active data sources (and trading sites) and their various status data.
  • OPEN WINDOWS - Shows all the open windows in MT. You can use this to find particular windows, highlight multiple windows and bring them to front, or close them.

TASKBAR NOTIFICATION AREA ICON - MT now has an icon on the Windows Taskbar Notification Alea.  FIRST Thing you may want to do is Click on the UP Arrow next to the Notification area and click CUSTOMIZE. Find the MT Logo icon and change it to "Show icon and Notifications".  Otherwise, Windows will hide the icon after initial first use.
You can double click on the Notification Icon to bring up MT if it is minimized or behind other windows.  You can also right click on it to get a menu to get to some key features.

TaskbarNotifyIcon.png

And also, this feature:

"NOTE the X close button on top right of the logo. You can use that to close MT."

I don't think it's a good idea to have this X close button on the floating logo, as the screen gets busy, I might close MT accidentally. When I want to close MT, I can do it from many other places including the Win Taskbar icon. I only do it once a day, but I surely click on the floating logo many times during the day.

There is one thing about this that I'd recommend:

On starting up MT, have the "View" of the dashboard restored to the view that was last used.  It currently comes up with the "Dashboard" view.  I had mine set to "Sources" which is what I'll care about most of the time as MT is running.

Thanks,
Tim

I actually did that on purpose, but I guess if you figured out how to switch it in the first place, you will know how to switch it back. Will remember the setting in next build.

NOTE: "Show Dashboard" button or from the System Menu will explicitly switch it to Dashboard.

right now there is no option to hide the logo. The idea being that it is pretty small and you can move it anywhere on the screen, so should be able to move it aside. and having it on top makes it so you can easily get to it no matter where you are at.  Following the example of Google Hangouts.  

Can you give me a scenario where you have a problem?

Hm. single monitor? 

will see about adding the option for "Always on top", with it being turned on by default, but that way could turn off.  However, if you do that, it will somewhat defeat the purpose since the logo won't always be there to give access to various MT features.

When I click the "Open a Portfolio" button with the dashboard positioned where it lands after startup, the portfolio window opens so high it is off the top of the screen, and the list of portfolios are not visible.

I have to drag the dashboard right to the bottom of the screen before clicking the "Open a Portfolio" button, then the portfolio selection window just sneaks on to the screen.

It appears the portfolio selection window is always positioned to sit just above the "Open a Portfolio" button, without regard to the location of the dashboard on the screen.

And having the logo seemingly coupled to the RHS of the dashboard is a damned nuisance. I move the logo out of the way, then I open the dashboiard and have to move it to get to the portfolio window, so the logo follows the dashboard and is now in the lower half of my screen - and it stays there when I minimise the dashboard, so I have to move it out of the way again. Extremely irritating!

John

Hm. single monitor? 

will see about adding the option for "Always on top", with it being turned on by default, but that way could turn off.  However, if you do that, it will somewhat defeat the purpose since the logo won't always be there to give access to various MT features.

Giving us the option would be the best price for sure.. thank you for considering it. 

• Like 1

Open Portfolio - Actually, it tries to show it below the button, but if there is not enough room, it goes above. I will fix the issue. I think it happens if you have the open window sized to be tall. You can resize it. 

Logo position - right now it tries to have logo on lower right side of dash if it fits. If not, it changes locations. So if you put logo somewhere in upper right corner of the screen, the Dashboard show up below and to the left of the logo. If you put logo on bottom right, dashboard will come up above right. If you move the dashboard directly, it will try to keep the logo in the same relative location as it was before, unless you get to the edge of the screen, in which case it will move it to best alternate location.

I am open to suggestions for tweaking this if you have ideas. 

Open Portfolio window - yes, I can force the window below the button, but only by moving the dashboard partly off the top of the screen, to make enough room for the window below the button.

The size of the window seems to be an issue. Maybe this would work better if the window was of variable size, depending on the number of portfolios. I have one, and there's an awful lot of empty real estate in the window.

Logo - my suggestion is to remove it, because it doesn't add anything extra to what I can do with the entry in the taskbar (don't know if this still applies to win8?), and gets in the way too often.

John

Logo - my suggestion is to remove it, because it doesn't add anything extra to what I can do with the entry in the taskbar (don't know if this still applies to win8?), and gets in the way too often.

John

I have to agree with John, if not remove it, give us the option to turn it off.

There is one thing about this that I'd recommend:

On starting up MT, have the "View" of the dashboard restored to the view that was last used.  It currently comes up with the "Dashboard" view.  I had mine set to "Sources" which is what I'll care about most of the time as MT is running.

Thanks,

Tim

Definitely agree w Tim Here...

right now there is no option to hide the logo. The idea being that it is pretty small and you can move it anywhere on the screen, so should be able to move it aside. and having it on top makes it so you can easily get to it no matter where you are at.  Following the example of Google Hangouts.  

Can you give me a scenario where you have a problem?

Jerry ..i agree with Lapa...can not say that i like the idea of this floating icon around the desktop...wouldnt' be enough the taskbar icon?