Medved Trader Forums

Intraday charts not updating

MTfan

Hi,

For Canadian stocks:

Today, Jan 18 2016, I notice that my historical charts are updating (daily candles) - ie I have a candle for today on the chart.

On intraday charts, set to hourly, I have no candles for today, Jan 18. The last candles are from Friday Jan 15. If I request a backfill, this does not help.

I can see that for some US symbols both the intraday and historical charts last day is Friday Jan 15.

In Canada there is no holiday today and markets are active. I believe today is a holiday in the US. Does this have anything to do with it?

Edited by MTfan

Today my Canadian stock intraday charts have skipped showing data for Jan 18.

Charts go from Jan 15 to Jan 19.

Please consider not having to specify the timeframe for a particular market.

IMHO MT should show data for a given symbol if the data is available.

Eg if I was in the US, had timeframe set for US, but I was monitoring Canadian stocks, I would still like to see the data for Jan 18.

Edited by MTfan

is the symbol in MT format?

• Some of them yes - due to the other issue you have helped me with I need to change 200 symbols from .TO to :CA, and I dont see an easy way to do that - ie I have tried hard to export the portfolio in a text format so I can search and replace symbols but MT seems to only export in a hex format, not csv or something.

is the timeframe set to Canadian markets on the chart's ribbon - VIEW tab?

• No when I do that then Jan 18 is shown.

IMHO from a user experience point of view there are many settings in many different places and sometimes not obvious, and I am not sure they are necessary.

For example is it necessary for me to specify a Canadian timeframe per chart if MT knows it is a Canadian symbol due to the exchange suffix in the symbol?

Jan 18? there is a Timeframe dropdown list on the VIEW tab - most likely it is set to US Markets. If MT format for the symbols is used, then MT would default it to Canadian.  Which is why it is important to use MT symbol formats.

Exporting - You could export as in the other post, then open that file with WinZip and look at the portfolio file. However, for your purposes, a simpler approach would be to:

1) highlight all symbols (CTRL+A or right click and select all)
2) right click and COPY
3) Paste into Excel.  The first column will be the symbols 
4) Make whatever changes you need there (mass search/replace)
5) click on the column header of the symbol column in excel to highlight and copy
6) Switch back to MT
7) Delete all existing symbols in the portfolio
8) Paste

Jan 18? there is a Timeframe dropdown list on the VIEW tab - most likely it is set to US Markets. If MT format for the symbols is used, then MT would default it to Canadian.  Which is why it is important to use MT symbol formats.

• I am sorry if I am misinterpreting what you mean by "Jan 18?" but it means to me that you are not sure why I am mentioning Jan 18 - so if I have not explained, Jan 18, yesterday, was a normal trading day in Canada.

Thanks very much for suggesting a way to do a mass replace of symbols.

I have used the Note field of a symbol for the sector of the symbol, so that I can sort symbols by sector as I look thru 200+ symbols. I find it helpful for example to have all Energy sector stocks together, shown one after the other in the portfolio.

I think I would lose all my sector Notes if I copy, modify and paste back into MT.

I have been trying to copy, modify and paste back both the Symobl and Note column but no luck - if there is any way I could do that please let me know.

Edited by MTfan

Jan 18 - disregard - that was me misreading.   

Yes, my suggestion would cause all data other than symbols to be lost.  You can do the export - just export the portfolios only.  Then open the export file with zip and then in UserSettings, edit the Portfolios.config with a text editor, you can do symbol changes right in the file (just be careful not to modify anything else) and then save. That should save within the zip/export file.  Then you can import again.  If you want, just send me the export and I will take care of it for you