Medved Trader Forums

how to open a different chart in a current chart window

jbclem

In QT, in the upper right corner of a chart there was an icon shaped like a paper pin.  You could click on it to link or unlink the chart.  I never knew how to use the different linking colors,  but when I clicked on the pin and it pointed at an angle that meant that a click on a symbol (in a portfolio) would change that window's chart to that of the symbol clicked.  So I could go through my portolio one symbol after the other and change the chart as I clicked my way down the list.  If I set the pin to it's horizontal position, that locked the chart so that it couldn't be changed from the portfolio symbol list.

I used this all day long in QT, being able to quickly go through a number of symbols/charts without having more than one or two windows taking up the screen space.

I haven't figured out how to do this with MT, and this has left MT crippled for my style of viewing charts.  Can someone show me how to do this if it is even possible.

BTW, an improved way of quickly reviewing a list of stock charts is found in Telechart 2007.  Instead of having to click on an individual symbol each time you want to change the chart (to the next symbol), all you need to do is tap the Space Bar and the chart changed to the next symbol in the list.  It's very quick and efficient...would be nice if MT could incorporate something like it.

John

The colored pushpins/thumbtack does that, [symbol link group]

Select colored pin in chart window, then select same colored pin in portfolio/watchlist, you will notice the cursor in portfolio/watchlist changes to the selected color pin, Use as cursor, select instrument click and the chart symbol will change accordingly

Select [none] to unlink chart

r1gd.png

Tip: Up/Down arrows to navigate portfolio/watchlist

• 5 months later...

Hi,

It is possible to set the same symbol link group on different watchlists. This is good.

But if I do this, and I switch focus to a 2nd watchlist without clicking in symbol column, the selected symbol does not change. 

Shouldn't the selected symbol pick up the change in selected watchlist, and change linked charts accordingly ?

Thanks.