Medved Trader Forums

Average Volume

wyldegoos

Jerry,

I notice that there is a column for average volume, which is one of my favorite tools, but I am getting no data from TDA or Yahoo or Google in this column. Is this an issue with my data feed or is this a feature that is not functional yet? I frequently look to 3 month average daily volume in making trading decisions. 

Wyldegoos

many datafeeds do not return data for that field. IQFeed does. 

IB has that field but doesn't seem to be sending data on it. I emailed them to get more info on that, but have not heard back

I just added it to Yahoo as well. will be in the next build

I am also thinking of having MT auto calculate the value at the time Historical chart data is fetched.  The thing is:

1) data wouldn't automatically be there unless you opened a historical chart

2) data would not be updated unless you opened a historical chart

3) if you get data from the regular L 1 datafeed, the hist data would overwrite it (though L 1 would get it again)

Thanks. Yahoo seems to do fine on the L1 data for my watchlists, even for the Pink Sheets. Auto calculation on the chart would be redundant for me if the watchlist data is present and correct. But I can see how that might be a cool tool for some traders. 

• 3 months later...

In my initial run of MT, as well as some days with QT, the data for some of the symbols in my watch list didn't fill in, most notably Avg. Volume.  I found that if I clicked on each symbol so it would load the chart the data filled in.  Don't know why but it seems to help sometimes.

because the datafeed you are using does not return Average Volume, it will only show if MT calculates it, which happens when it backfills Historical Data. If you have your portfolio and historical chart hinked,when you click on the symbol - the chart changes to it and backfills. Thus what you are seeing.