Medved Trader Forums

Horizontal lines

dwspinks

Question

I am new to your software via Scottrade to TD Ameritrade. I really like what I see so far. I have a couple of questions for you. When I draw a horizontal line I do not see anywhere in the parameters to enter a specific value. It is tough to do with a mouse looking at the value on the right side. Also how do I go about getting scans for say MA crossovers, prices closing above MA & prices making new highs, such as a 20 day or 50 day high or low?  Thanks 

11 answers to this question

with regular trendlines, you cannot specify the absolute value manually.  What you can do is add "Horizontal Line" Indicator, then in the indicator properties you can either specify an absolute value, or set it to always show one of the computed values (or stuff like high/low, etc)

Scans are done on a portfolio - click on the SCANNER tab.  You would need to define a scan first with the criteria that you wish.  We have lots of docs for this online - 

https://www.medvedtrader.com/trader/WebHelp/index.html?placing_the_scan_on_the_portfo.htm

as well as a few Youtube vids - https://medvedtrader.com/youtube

Huh? since when? Are you saving the chart settings and loading them on others or something? And horizontal line indicators that are pegged to an absolute value are not synced even when you do save /load layout on another symbol. 

I need to get the log file to see what the problem is. Please do the following:

Go to FILE / HELP => Send Log/Settings to support menu (from Dashboard or Portfolio)

And add the Post URL in the comment.  Do not check any check-boxes.

I see that you have the open charts “Linked”.  The settings I referred to are for the chart window. If you have it linked and just switch symbols in it, then most indicators will stay on the window as you change symbols, be it by typing them in or via the linked symbols functionality.

I thought you had many chart windows open and when you added the horizontal line indicator on one, it added it on the other – that would have been a problem.

with linked charts, your only option to do lines that are specific to a particular symbol is to do trendlines.  To make the trenline perfectly horizontal, you can hold down the SHIFT key while drawing it.  in your situation I would use the Horizontal Line indicator only if you want to peg it to some calculated value - High, Low, last, VWAP, etc.