Medved Trader Forums

Virtual Desktops - Definitive Answer Required

vt1

Hello,

I earlier thought about getting Medved trader, but your support representative suggested MT was unable to perform well in a multiple-virtual-desktop environment, but was unsure.

I want the ability to run, for example, 3 windows with different time periods for one currency pair on 1 screen; I have 4 screens, so 12 windows (and 4 currencies) per virtual desktop; and I want to run 3-4 virtual desktops, so I can potentially trade 12-16 currencies at a time, by switching between the virtual desktops.

I have an AMD Ryzen 1800X, 32GB of medium-speed RAM, and a ~10Mbps internet connection.

At the moment, I am considering using google chrome for this task, but due to its CPU usage, perhaps I will be bottlenecked at 2 virtual desktops, rather than 3 or 4 as I desire. I would prefer not to get a threadripper style processor for this kind of work.416304830_Screenshot(9).thumb.jpg.ed80c28e545101babff87bdd2095961a.jpg

Has anybody tried to do something like this using Medved Trader? If so, how well did it perform?

Edited by vt1

I had some issues with virtual desktops and Medved Trader when I played around with it a year ago.  This was with Medved Trader in one Microsft VD with other programs in other VDs. I didn't try putting different MT windows in different VDs. This was on Windows 10 using Microsofts VD feature.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Jerry Medved said:

Multiple screens are not a problem. Virtual Desktops are a different story and could cause issues. Not tested. only thing I can suggest is to try.

Thank for the quicky reply, although like earlier, this is not a definitive answer. W10 is quite popular now; in my opinion, programs should be updated to run with its many (relatively) advanced features.

29 minutes ago, mmoy said:

I had some issues with virtual desktops and Medved Trader when I played around with it a year ago.  This was with Medved Trader in one Microsft VD with other programs in other VDs. I didn't try putting different MT windows in different VDs. This was on Windows 10 using Microsofts VD feature.

What were the issues that you had? Was it stable?

Sometimes QT windows would wind up in the wrong Virtual Desktop.

My main problem with Windows 10 was that Medved Trader would eat up all of the Virtual Memory on my system and it would eventually become non-responsive. This on a machine with 12 GB of RAM. It uses about 400 MB on Windows 7. Other people don't have this problem so it might be an issue with my hardware or environment. But I didn't feel like trying to spend any additional time debugging it. I do hate Windows 10 for other reasons as well.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been using Dexpot, for MANY years, a very good virtual desktop program, that isn't really being supported much anymore (afaik)  but works quite well on Windows 7, and probably Windows 10 .

Pretty near everything works with it including  Medvedtrader

I have been running the MT beta version on a windows 7 KVM virtualization node and it has been up running a scan for the last 6 days non stop. You made me wonder how I could run different scans concurrently with additional virtualizations or MT installs, but this seems like it would be too resource inefficient for a windows platform. I'm running two cores with 2GB of ram and it is stable enough so far for just scanning. The cpu usage seems to be very low load <20%, but the ram usage is high load.

Multiple portfolio/scan support would be a nice feature, unless I'm not aware of another way accomplish this?

2GB allocated per instance seems a bit low - scans tend to take a lot of memory. But if it works.... :)

It would be way more efficient to run multiple scans in one instance since it would not require having 2 sets of quotes for the same symbols. You cannot do 2 scans for the same portfolio. However, assuming you have a large portfolio with the "universe" of symbols that you are scanning, you can just make a copy of that portfolio then open both at the same time in separate portfolio windows and do a different scan on each at the same time - no problem.

Thank you for the quick reply Mr. Medved. Oh yes I'm quite impressed with the MT beta performance and stability on a virtualized-windows node thus far, with my very economy setup for about 300 symbols. Luckily I can scale if needed. That tip on portfolios will work perfectly, I also wasn't sure if the data source could be adjusted per portfolio but it can so that is excellent. I'm looking forward to the alert-to-email updates as that should really complete all my scanning requirements.