Medved Trader Forums

Paintbars not sending notification or playing sound.

Jason

I've been experimenting with paintbars and have created a simple one that plays a sound and alerts with a message when triggered. The paintbar itself seems to be displaying the changes on the chart that I've specified (such as colored bands at the top of the chart) so I know that the rules are being triggered properly but I never hear the sound played or see a popup notification. I've also tested with a regular alert line drawn on the chart. The alert sends a popup message when triggered but it too does not play a sound. I've searched around in the forums but haven't found any topics regarding similar issues.

Sound - is Windows Media Player functioning OK? 

Alert (popup) - did you enable the alert on the Paintbar parameter screen? And note that the paintbar alerts will only trigger if the chart is open and the paintbar trigger event shows up on a new candle on the far right. If you just open a chart and the paintbar event is already on the chart, it will not trigger.

If still an issue that you can't identify, then send me your log and settings:

Go to FILE / HELP => Send Log/Settings to support menu (from Dashboard or Portfolio)
And add the Post URL in the comment.  Do not check any check-boxes.

Also, indicate in the comment the exact paintbar and chart that I should look at.

I don't use Windows Media Player but there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with it when I open it. When I right-click on the chart and select 'Add/edit Indicators' I move the paintbar I created from the list of indicators on the left to the right side pane to add it to the chart. I then double click on the paintbar indicator on the right side pane and select 'View/Edit' for each rule. Alert (popups) is selected along with 'Play sound' on the Notifications tab. When I open the chart the paintbar marks where the triggers have taken place but I can confirm that when the current bar triggers the alert on a live chart it does nothing. If it matters, I'm using Windows 10 and WMP is not set up as a default player in my system. I will send the report shortly.

y, sounds like (no pun intended) you have it setup OK. BTW, on the alert screen where there is "Play Sound" checkbox, there is the dropdown to the right. Do you have one of the System ones selected or a custom sound? (which). And, to the far right, there is a play button (green right arrow). If you click it, it is supposed to play the selected sound. Does it?

Yes, the "Play Sound" checkbox is checked with "Tone" selected. When I click the play button I can hear it. Also, when I select "Manage Scans/Chart Paintbars" and go the edit paintbar screen I have the "Alert" checkbox selected.

Jason, I replied to you on Friday via email. I think you don’t have the alert turned on. You setup the alert but you didn’t check the box to actually enable it.  For example, in the picture below, note how I checked the box for the Bearish alert. Bullish one however is not checked and will not trigger.  Note that the alert button on the parameter editor has a checkbox on it. 

image.png

My apologies. I missed the email as I hadn't caught it on Friday and then my internet service failed over the weekend. I think I had the checkboxes shown confused with the one in the Paintbar rule editor where we can select it as an alert. And it just hadn't occurred to me that once the Paintbar was added as an indicator to the chart that I would have to select it for each rule in that window.

Thanks for checking it out and sorry for the wasted time.

Paintbar editor lets you define an alert, but whether or not it is used is determined where you actually add the paintbar to the chart or use it as a scan. That way, you can make it so the paintbar can trigger an alert, add it to 10 charts, but only enable the alert on 1.