Medved Trader Forums

IB+TOS

antares66

Sure, just select TD Ameritrade as the quote source on top of the portfolio window. Also, if you do not have a real-time streaming data subscription on your IB account, you will want to go to SETTINGS / TRADING / ACCOUNTS, click on the IB login - the level above the account, and change the "Alternate Quote Source" to TD Ameritrade. Otherwise, Trade Ticket and Account view will still try to use IB for quotes.

Another note - if your IB account doesn't have real-time data subscription and you try to place a trade, TWS will bring up a message about precautions. You will need to go to TWS API Precautions and check the box to bypass Order Precautions for API Orders. 

• 1 month later...

Hello Jerry,

I have similar thoughts like antares66.

I want to use IB as my broker, to clear my trades (only stocks). But I dont want to use their TWS for my order entry, and I would also prefer another feed because of all I read about it, that it is filtered and slow.

If I use the IB data feed in the medved trader platform, will it still be as slow and filtered as in the TWS platform, or it only limited by/ in TWS ? Or will it still be that slow, even in medved trader (I talk mostly about Level 2 window here, charts are not that important to me) ?

If you agree that IB is good as a broker, to clear my trades, but not that good with their data, which combo would you recommend ? Is the idea that antares66 mentioned above, IB as broker and TD Ameritrade as data feed a good choice, especially for Level 2 ? Or is there another data feed that you say is better/ the best to use with medved trader ?

I am looking for the fastest and most reliable data feed I can get, while still sending my orders to IB and clearing through them.

Thank you very much in advance for your support !

Edited by Wade Watts

IB Level I data is consolidated, but it is fast. not sure where you saw the "slow" thing. 

IB Level II is really bad because the data available in TWS is NOT the same data available to us via their API.

You have 3 main options for data if Level II is required:
IQFeed: https://medvedtrader.com/iqfeed - subscription

Stockwatch: https://medvedtrader.com/stockwatch - subscription

TD Ameritrade - brokerage account. 

TDA is good that may depend on what you trade. have seen it get stuck a lot with low priced symbols. 

IQFeed LEVEL II is NASDAQ only