Medved Trader Forums

Verizon (USA) SMS attacment removed

Doug Hayman

Hi guys,

I spoke with Verizon (my cell carrier) on this, and they don't see any settings that would be causing this on their end.

I have a historical chart (100 bars/1 day) with 3 SMA's, Volume, and RSI displayed, and I'm attempting to text it (SMS) to myself.  I specify Verizon (USA) as the carrier, and have tried specifying my tele # as: 1) 10digit# and 2) 10digit#@vzwpix.com (SMS-to-Email gateway).  Both of these attempts send a text to my phone from alerts@medvedtrader.com, but in both instances I'm getting a Verizon "Attachment Removed" message, with no image rendered.

Could this be an issue with the size of the chart image that I'm trying to SMS?

MT implements SMS by using the SMS-to-email gateway. when you share to SMS, the request is sent to our server and there it is sent to your provider.  in the case of Verizon USA, it is sent to:

##########@vtext.com

where the # stuff is your 10 digit #

the chart would be sent as a JPG attachment. 

I just looked it up - seems that for Verizon, they use the vzwpix.com email for attachments.  Can you please try just emailing both TEXT and jpg attachment to yourself at the vzwpix address and let me know if BOTH arrive - not just the image?

Yes, that worked.  I Emailed myself at ##########@vzwpix.com, with a Subject, some text, and a .jpg attachment, and everything got sent to my Message app correctly.

Did the same thing to ##########@vtext.com and got the aforementioned "Attachment Removed" message.

If memory serves correct, I think Verizon introduced their SMS-to-Email gateway address from "vtext.com" to "vzwpix.com" for images a year or 2 ago.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Doug Hayman
Update

• 2 years later...

Jerry, I'm in need of sending SMS text messages to myself when I away from my computer.  I had this working in the past, where I had C# code in my paintbar fire off when a new bar was created:

if (Close > Open)
         {
             TriggerAlert("NewCandle2", "Up: " + Close.ToString() + " Time: " + Timestamp.AddMinutes(-240).ToString());
         }
         else
         {
             TriggerAlert("NewCandle2", "Down: " + Close.ToString() + " Time: " + Timestamp.AddMinutes(-240).ToString());
         }            

This alert (NewCandle2) is enabled for this paintbar, and I have SMS enabled with my cell telephone #.   Recall I have Verizon as my carrier, and due to Verizon issue, SMS didn't work.   However, you created and Email Entry for me for my drop-down (which still exists), that allowed me to send text to myself thru Email, while Verizon was selected as the carrier.

This all worked awhile back, but is no longer working.   Has something changed in MT that would prohibit this from working?

Thanks in advance.

Jerry, sorry forgot to post, due to busy weekend with family.   It is now working again via Email to me.   The SMS text-to-Emails from last week all came in late Friday night, as if they were queued up.  And I tested one yesterday (Sat morn), and it came in, in real-time.   Could it be that your SMS-to-Email server/service was down last week?