Medved Trader Forums

FYI - TD AMERITRADE - LOGIN ISSUES

Jerry Medved

If you have a TD Ameritrade account with which you can login on the web site, but not in Medved Trader - the problem is that your TD Ameritrade account has been “Upgraded”, which ironically disables access to the API which all 3rd party applications (such as MT) use to communicate with TD Ameritrade servers. This can be as simple as enabling futures or advanced options or some other “Upgrade”. 

Assuming you don’t need the “upgrade” on your account, you can call them and tell them to reverse or downgrade whatever is needed so the API will work.

[EDIT: even though TDA support person specifically told me this, it seems to be BS.  There may be some auto update if you enable some feature (FUTURES will definitely do it), but otherwise, TOS can be logged in without screwing up the account]
NOTE: Logging into Think Or Swim Software (TOS) WILL UPGRADE YOUR ACCOUNT to an "Orange" account, thus breaking access to the API, so Medved Trader will no longer be able to login. So don’t do it.

In case they try to push it off on "We don't support QuoteTracker" or claim you have to contact Medved Trader support - Do not buy that.  This issue has nothing to do with QuoteTracker or Medved Trader.  It is specifically with settings on the TD Ameritrade accounts breaking API access. 
  • Like 1

Let me make sure I have this straight - I typically just use QT (and now beta MT) via direct login from my desktop, but the next time I need to log into the TDA website (for essentially anything) it will automatically trigger the "upgrade", with the API no longer working for MT? Or is it triggered only if I need to login to QT or MT directly from within the TDA website (which I never do)? Or are you saying I need to go ahead and contact TDA regardless and ask them to do the reverse/ downgrade?

Is the TOS issue related? Meaning if I occasionally log into TOS for the TTM Squeeze and Ichimoku Cloud indicators, I can no longer do that at all in the future? Or will contacting TDA to do the downgrade make this issue go away?

Thanks

no, logging into the TDA web site is not an issue. Logging into TOS Software however seems to be an issue.  

I was told that by a support rep, though have not played with it myself. 

If you have been doing so without a problem, then there may be more to it. I don't know. I DO know that if your account is "Upgraded" so it becomes an "Orange" account (like if you enable futures), then you will no longer have API access

Held my breath and checked it out just now during regular market hours -- opened TOS with both QT and MT open, and feed seems to be working fine on all three. Then closed MT and QT and reopened them with TOS open, and still seems like all is working OK. (And TOS did an upgrade before it logged me in, so it's current).

Exhale. I'll check it again tomorrow, but maybe it is just an issue with implementing futures trading as you suggested.

Actually, this problem happened to me a few years ago while using QT, so I can help clarify.

It's NOT caused by logging in to ToS software.  I do that every day with no problem.

The specific problem is:
When you are logged in to the TD Ameritrade website,  if you go to "My Profile" / "Elections & routing" / "Advanced Features *NEW*",  and you see that you are "Eligible", DO NOT click on "Upgrade"!

Once you are "Upgraded", QT will no longer work.

If you have already "Upgraded" (as I had done), you can call TDA Support to reverse the "upgrade".

• 1 year later...

Hello !

So I setup and used Medved trader on my girlfriends computer to acquaint myself after using your fine QT for like 20 years.

Logged in  MT Wed. using TDA as quote and backfiill source, like several other times.

However I return to home to QT 3.9.8a (slow learner) and find that QT wont login to TDA quotes, website OK..

GF's medved trader computer is OFF. TDA profile 'advanced features' says eligible, no upgrade clicked.

Called TDA as mentioned above but no help..

Any other ideas why old buddy QT getting rejected? I'll return to the to the Medved trader computer this weekend to check it.

Thanks.

Don't know about QT - I can only say that it works for my account.  

If the exact same login works on the TD Ameritrade web site directly, you can easily check this situation - go to this URL:

https://www.medvedtrader.com/trader/test/tdalogin.html

it directs the login to TD Ameritrade API servers that is used by MT and QT.  Logging in there is exactly the same as logging into TD Ameritrade via the program.  If successful, it should show you some XML including your account number, login time, etc.  If not, it will show brief XML saying Please try logging in with the same login you use in MT and tell me what you get.

The following is what you would see in the browser window if login succeeded.  If not, it would show something like:

<amtd>

<result>FAIL</result>

<error>Unable to authorize access.</error>

</amtd>

Which means that your login cannot access API servers.

Let me know what you get from that test.

• 3 weeks later...

You mean that you get:

<amtd>

<result>FAIL</result>

<error>Unable to authorize access.</error>

</amtd>

If so, then you have an "Orange" account, so you don't have API access. Would need to call Ameritrade to get it changed to "Green" Account. Happens overnight, so you won't have access till the following day (not sure if you do it today if it will happen by Monday or Tuesday)

I do not know what the requirements are for their stuff, so cannot tell for sure.  If the account is "Green", some things can't be used, such as trading futures.  I do not know about other details.  however, if you change and then realize something doesn't work that you can't live without, you can change back. 

Yes, same issue as with QT.  One thing you can do is open a separate account. Maybe fund it with $10 (they may say there is a higher minimum, but it should still work).  And set THAT account to be "Green".  You may even be able to link the other accounts to it and still have it work. Then, login via the new Green account.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

To update this issue prior to un-pinning it, as of the past month, you should not have any issues logging in with any TD Ameritrade accounts. Only difference is that the upgraded "Orange" accounts will not have some trading capabilities, like special instructions (AON, FOK, DNR) and Order Routing.