Medved Trader Forums

Yesterday's Closing Price Chart Indicator

ydfah

Could you change MT to use yesterday's closing price on the chart indicator to use the last trade price before 16:00:00? More often than not the last trade price at 16:00:00 is wrong and the one right before it is correct. This only applies to charts, not portfolios.

• 5 months later...

Okay so I've asked about this before and it still hasn't been fixed. The Previous Close indicator on the chart is still using the figure at 16:00:00 which is usually wrong unless it's the same as the figure at 15:59:59. It gets annoying to have the blue indicator line displayed in the wrong location on the chart just about every day. You guys are better than letting such an obvious flaw go uncorrected for so long.

16 minutes ago, Mike Medved said:

ydfah, are you using a ferret avatar to soften me up? 'cuz it's working.

When you say Previous Close indicator, do you mean the horizontal line with Previous Close selected as the value?

I just rescued two more last week if that helps sway you, I'll take all the influence I can get. ;)

Yes I mean the horizontal line with Previous Close selected as the value in the charts.

6 minutes ago, Mike Medved said:

Ok - but doesn't that already have the "Regular Session Only" parameter?

And I love ferrets. Used to have 3.

Yes it has that parameter but it's still reading the wrong value from the raw data. Since there is an ever so slight delay in the quote stream, the raw data amount at 16:00:00 is an after-market amount and not the true closing price. 

2 minutes ago, Mike Medved said:

Ok you're saying the value should be at <16:00:00 and not <=16:00:00? Is that the problem?

Yes, 9 out of 10 time the value at 16:00:00 is not the correct closing price while the value at 15:59:59 is. MT uses the value at 16:00:00 to position the previous close indicator line in the chart.

2 hours ago, Mike Medved said:

I am sorry it took so long, it really is a very simple fix.

I will have Jerry give you the latest version on Mon or Sun nite.

I changed it to be <16:00:00. But if that is not sufficient probably need to do another quarter of a second or so?

Thanks, I'll give it a try and let you know.

All MT can go by is the data it has. As you're showing in the raw data, the trade that MT knows of at 15:59:59 is 27.34. That is what it would show you as the closing price.

How can it possibly figure out that the trade at 16:00:06 is the closing price?

Note: the timestamps on the trades are (in almost every data provider's case) coming from their servers, not from your computer. So THEY are sending that 19:59:59 timestamp.

4 hours ago, Mike Medved said:

How can it possibly figure out that the trade at 16:00:06 is the closing price?

If I knew that I'd be the programmer, not you. :rolleyes:

If using the raw data is not accurate then why not use the value from the Previous Close column shown on a portfolio window? That one is always accurate.

Edited by ydfah

43 minutes ago, Jerry Medved said:

cannot do that for various reasons - don't know when it is updated (every source updates at different time), or if it was adjusted (some do dividend adjustments).

:huh: All of that is settled before the opening bell the next morning. I am beyond amazed that you're telling me the correct previous closing price is sitting right there in a column in front of me, but that value cannot be transferred over to the PClose indicator on the chart and that your satisfied with MT displaying incorrect information. :blink:

36 minutes ago, Jerry Medved said:

the indicator is not shown just at opening bell. it is shown throughout the day. Being that it is shown on the chart, it needs to be consistent with the chart throughout the day. 

I understand that, I use it on ever chart but the indicator is supposed to be a fixed reference point, it is supposed to sit at the previous day's closing price and not move, regardless of what happens intra-day. The problem here is sometimes it does not sit at the previous day's closing price. For example, while everything else puts the current quote in the green the chart will show the last quote below the indicator when it should be above. This happens because the previous day's closing price indicator is not sitting at the previous day's closing price, it's sitting above it.

In the case of UBER, that's the official closing AUCTION  print, which can sometimes be quite a bit different than the print just before 4pm

Looking at the largest print within 5 seconds of the close would work most of the time ,but NOT always, to capture the official close. Closing prints are often delayed.

Pretty sure that the closing price tag is sent over the Feeds, but not sure MT would have access to that data.

Edited by stock777

43 minutes ago, Mike Medved said:

I added the "(For Prev. Close) Always Use Computed Value" option to the indicator. Defaulted to true.

Not too happy to have to do it, since this is such a micro-option, but...

I'm not sure I follow what you mean by computed value and when will this feature be released?

It might be a micro-option to you, but to me it means the world so you get to be the Honorary Ferret King for a week.

ferret-thumb-up.jpg