Medved Trader Forums

4K monitor support?

Don

I recently added a large 4k monitor and the charts and text in Medved look quite fuzzy. I have played with all the Win 10 display settings with no improvement. Text on web pages and in other applications look very sharp and clear. Is there anyway to improve the sharpness in Medved?

Win 10 with 4K display recommends/defaults to 150%, I had tried 100% scaling and the charts and text still looked a bit fuzzy. Win 10 also kept defaulting back to 150% when starting up. 

Now when I go back and set to 100% everything looks great!

I will try the beta version and see if it offers additional improvements.

Thanks!

I researched this. What MT is using right now is the Windows compatibility mode, which, on the >100% basically renders to a behind-the-scenes bitmap, then stretches the bitmap. If you look really closely, that blurs things a little. Usually, since on a 4K display pixels are so close together, you really don't notice it. (I had to run high-DPI on a regular display in order to see the effect).

It is possible to change things in MT to run in "DPI-aware" mode, I experimented with it, which would automatically change all font sizes and eliminate stretching. It will take redoing things on almost every window in MT, creating new graphics etc. Right now we have a bit on our plate. Maybe at some point, during a "quiet period"...

• 4 months later...

Hi Jerry, Mike,

MT does not seem to handle display scaling on high dpi screens well. Yes, everything remains legible, but it's a pain to look at. I think I mentioned this issue already 2-3 years ago to Jerry directly.

In my specific case it's a 4K screen with 150% scaling. Which results in exactly what you described yourself: Originally sharp controls blown up by 150% with the same dpi count. I'm just a bit surprised with your conclusion that you have to "look really closely" to notice it, the numbers suggest otherwise.

I tried to fiddle with the compatibility settings and leave the scaling up to the application. This does give you sharp text but it doesn't fit the respective containers (buttons, lines, labels etc.) any longer. So, it's either work without scaling - which is really not an option on 4K unless you have eagle eyes - or use MT with blurry controls.

Anyway, I'm sure many of your users will appreciate it if MT were improved in this regard. For me personally, it's crucial.

• 2 weeks later...