Medved Trader Forums

settings backup

rocarr

I'm a little confused about backups.

If I save a column layout in the ribbon it has a file extension of .PortColLayout.

Under file..load layout..it wants only .layout extension and will not load any other.

I was assuming that file... save layout not only saves column layout but all other

settings too but then what is the difference between that and the .MTExport file

you get when you use the export tab?

@rocarr,

MT lets you export different types of settings:

Chart Templates

Column Layouts

Window Layouts

Chart Template Save and Load are on the chart Ribbon, TEMPLATE tab

Column Layouts only save the portfolio Column settings (which columns, their order and size) and both the SAVE and the LOAD options for those are on the Portfolio Ribbon, VIEW tab.  The load is right next to the SAVE option you used to save the column layout

The FILE/ Load or Save Layouts is for the entire window Layouts - it stores all the windows that are open, All the window settings, etc so you can load it back and have MT look the same way it did when you save. This does not sore the symbols on portfolios or quote data.

Last, but not least, we have the FILE / Export Settings.  That lets you save everything - the current settings in MT, the quote data if you choose it, portfolios, and even the various templates and layouts that you may have saved using the other options.  This is the true BACKUP.  You can use this to sort of get a full snapshot of MT or to share your complete setup with others. Also quite handy if emailing support.

Thanks for reply. Good to know all settings can be backed up.

The reason I got interested was because one of my portfolio views

changed recently. The column names and widths were completely different in

only one portfolio ( I have several watchlists). It has not happened again

so I don't know if it was a bug or a glitch in my computer. Will report if it

happens again.