Medved Trader Forums

Trading (and other) customizable Hotkeys functionality suggestions needed

Mike Medved

22 minutes ago, Doug Hayman said:

I missed the most important part of this thread; your google doc. I like the flexibility that this appears to offer. Yeah, the UI and the interpreter to check syntax correctness is going to be some work.

Will this functionality be made available through Advanced Paintbars as well?

That would take some thinking. I mean the machinery would be there but have been very wary of doing any kind of "autotrading" because just placing orders is not enough. There has to be risk management etc. built in. It would be a lot better to just build an app outside of MT that would use MT's streaming API to get data, get account info and place/manage orders.

All good ideas so far, esp autohotkeys big fave does lots non-trade things too. For MT is there already a Cancel & Reverse hotkey? I haven't memed the MT hotkeys, just liking to click from menus since gives a microsec or two to slow down impulse trading. But a C&R key might be one I'd commit for truly panic moment (s). Big help when something is really dumping solidly & with neg news. Cancels open position & immediately goes other way. Think about stops & such after a 15 min watch & wait before set stops, just get me out & let me gain some of loss the other way.  Good you are focusing on trade keys first. Much of other functions (like closing all open windows) can be found in Windows/goog them or autohotkeys. I'll just commit MT keys as too many already in ahk. You've picked some good ones already like ability to switch trade accounts. Annoying at first to open trade panel only to have to adjust default acct if have a few brokers. Keys something like Alt+OT (open trade)+1..... , 2, 3  for up to 3 accts as example.  or for finger ease  Ctrl+T+1.......   Thanks Mike

I like the idea of more hot keys especially as it pertains to chart trading. Half order , double order etc and conditional orders directly from a chart window.. Also a "Backfill all open charts" would be great first thing in the morning. I always have issues with open charts not automatically backfilling  after startup and I have to manually hit the backfill button on each individual chart. I've programmed an Elgato Stream Deck with alot of keyboard shortcuts so additional ones would be great. Goal is one hand on mouse and one on the Stream Deck and avoid the keyboard all together during fast trading. 20201023_103608_resized.jpg.df2423e7ffd1d56e25b48efec41268ec.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, asaladaaa said:

also please we need features to auto  bracket order when our first order got filled, for stocks in IB, IB has this feature in ChartTrader (auto attach bracket) that can be set on the preset, this is very important for scalping or for protecting our position from wild stock

Its already possible to do that

ota order.png

ota on dom.png

@merlin8121,

Thanks, just found out how to do that.

I suggest to have Order Presets just like in IB, it can have many presets including a preset for specific instrument, because for 300 dollar stock it will be too small to have 0.5 point stop loss compared to 1 dollar stock, or it will be better to have a preset based on stock price range.

25 minutes ago, asaladaaa said:

@merlin8121,

Thanks, just found out how to do that.

I suggest to have Order Presets just like in IB, it can have many presets including a preset for specific instrument, because for 300 dollar stock it will be too small to have 0.5 point stop loss compared to 1 dollar stock, or it will be better to have a preset based on stock price range.

Once we release Hotkeys (which will be done shortly) on their basis we will do the "Saved Orders" that will do what you want.

• 6 months later...

Hi Mike,

Just curious when the ETA for release will be on this?

I mentioned one thing I'm interested earlier in this thread (multiple contracts with defined scale outs).

Here's another simpler one I'm interested in.  Since IB (and prob most brokers) don't support OCA/OTA Stop Orders with an opposing Trail Stop leg, I would like to do the following:

1) Simple AUTO DOM order that will allow me to buy/sell a Limit/Stop order at a price of interest;

2) Once trade executes, availability of a defined hot key that will execute a Trail $/Trail % Stop order calculated as an offset to my entry price;

Will that be achievable?    Thank you.

• 3 weeks later...