Medved Trader Forums

chart(market hours) starting/ending at wrong time

jbclem

(using v 1.0.2364.1739)

My intraday charts are starting at 7:30am and ending at 2pm.  I'm in Pacific time zone, Extended Hours are set to NEVER.  I'm using US Equity Markets timeframe, which is set at Eastern time zone and Active Market Hours of 9:30am-4pm.

Shouldn't there be a -3 hour difference calculated between Eastern and Pacific time zones?  It looks like the calculated difference is -2.  This is a recent development, it was working ok a month or so ago.

My WinXP SP3 had a daylight savings time bug that I just fixed today (using tzedit).  This may have something to do with this problem, but right now the computer clock time is correct and the MT charts are still starting one hour later than they should.

What to do:?

John

John,

First off - maybe time to move off XP considering it is no longer supported :)

But anyway - after fixing the timezone, did you restart MT? Reboot computer?

If yes to both of the above, does the "Market Closes in"... stuff show correctly on the status bar of the portfolio?

Jerry,

Computer rebooted, MT restarted after fixing time zone, problem remains. 

At 10:20 pm 4-02-14, "Market Opens in" says 9 hr 10 min which would make that 7:30am, an hour late.

On an intraday charts the chart starts at 7:30am and ends at 2pm.  But on these charts the trading (as seen by the regular price bars and regular volume bars) ends at 1pm.  So besides the charts starting an hour late, the trading is ending an hour early.  After 1pm there are a few trades showing on some charts but they are obviously after hours trades, with irregular bars (dashes, odd candles with very wide ranges) and very little volume.  It looks like the chart hours aren't in sync with the trading hours, so the first hour of trading isn't showing up on the chart.

I have a .jpg screenshot of a chart to illustrate this, I can email it to you if you want to see it.

John

ps...the only reason I'm using Windows XP is that I haven't been able to get MT to run in Windows 2000.  Sometime soon I'd like to show you the error message generated to see if you have any suggestions I can pass on to the people who make the Windows 2000 extended kernel and wrapper dlls.

Don't know what to tell you. MT uses the Windows defined time zone info - it does not define this itself. I tried this on XP and did not get an issue.  We can add logs to see what values MT is reading, but do not think we would be able to actually do anything about it without breaking compatibility.  

As for XP/2000, maybe its time to consider moving to a modern OS.  I personally recommend Win 7. Assuming your hardware will support it, There is no reason for using XP at this point.  Its a dog with flees. Lots of them

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't use MT for a while, then started it up this past Tues or Weds.  I ran the update and now have v 1.0.2658.748.  Most interesting is that when the updated MT started up and back filled the intraday chart I had up...the problem was gone.  That is, starting Mon 4-7-14, the intraday charts are again starting at the correct time, 6:30am, and ending at 1pm PST. 

But scrolling back through the previous days you can see exactly where this problem started.  Up to and including Fri 3-07-14 all the intraday charts begin at 6:30pm and end at 1pm PST.  Then on Mon 3-10-14, the chart starting time switches to 7:30am and the ending time switches to 2pm PST.  It stays this way until last Monday, 4-07-14, when after the upgrade the chart starting times reverted back to the normal 6:30 and ending at 1pm PST.

I checked two different symbols (MYL and TRIP) their intraday charts show the same problem/glitch over the same period of time.  I ran QT to compare, but the problem wasn't there.

There were 8 updates over the period of this problem.  It went away after the 8th update.  Daylight Savings Time began on 3-09-14 so that must have something to do with the problem, and also the WinXP Daylight Savings Time bug that I fixed on 3-28-14.  But there were 3 or 4 updates after I fixed that bug and the problem didn't fix itself until after the last one.  So who knows what happened, but I'm glad it's gone.

John

It has nothing to do with the MT updates. Your version of XP thinks the daylight savings time changed later than when it really did because or rule changes a few years back. Once that date passed, the issue goes away, However, it still shows incorrectly when viewing data before the date your OS thinks the changes occurred on.