Medved Trader Forums

How to export and/or copy symbols in a portfolio to the clipboard or text file?

Almighty1

I was wondering is there a way to export and/or copy symbols in a MT portfolio or all portfolios to the clipboard or to a text file basically in the same format as when symbols are entered 

so that i's separated by commas?  Also, when copying from one portfolio to another, is there a way to select more than one symbol as I have tried using the shift and control keys which

did not do anything.  Thanks!

to select multiple rows, click (and hold down) and drag up/down

COPY will copy all symbols and columns, so you could paste into Excel, then copy the symbols from there

Alternately, you can drag/drop the selected rows onto Notepad and that will copy just the symbols

If using our HTTP API, you can do http://127.0.0.1:16239/req?EnumSymbols() and that will give you the list of all symbols in MT or EnumPortSymbols (passing it the portfolio ID) to only get symbols in one portfolio

I actually tried that before and tried it again, what happens when I click (and hold down the left mouse button), it would have move and then when I drag up and down, it only moves the symbol up and down the portfolio with the red bar moving to where I want to move it to and not select the other rows.

Edited by Almighty1

On 10/26/2020 at 4:10 AM, Jerry Medved said:

after selecting the rows, you have to drag using the SYMBOL column specifically, not just anywhere on the row

Already tried that, as it only allows selecting one row and not more than one row since when I try to drag the SYMBOL column like for example, if I had BA selected, I can drag the BA up or down which has AZZ above it and BABA below it, it will just have the move if I go either up or down but not actually allow me to select the AZZ and/or the BABA in addition to the BA.  I meant using the mouse as I can do it fine if I held down the shift key + the up and down arrows.  Think it's easier to show what I mean with a video capture:
https://youtu.be/7vmuTfY5E9Q

you have to select multiple symbols by clicking and moving up/down on any column OTHER than the symbol. to drag, you drag the symbol column.

As for dragging anything to notepad - Notepad does not accept drag/drop, so you cannot do that. Would have to use some other type of editor - Wordpad, Textpad, etc.

in future version of MT, right click will have COPY SYMBOL option too

Thanks.  That worked, I guess I didn't realize I had to click on other columns besides the symbol column to select and then drag using the symbol column.  In your original reply, you did say one can drag/drop into notepad but I have the drag/drop working on EmEditor Pro and Notepad++ and basically it seems that each symbol will be on a line individually by itself and to get to to be separated with commas similar to how it's entered in Medved Trader, one has to replace all "\r\n\" with ",".  On a related question since I and probably others went from the Free Premium sponsored by Ally Invest formerly TradeKing.com to the Free version of Medved Trader, what is the best way to extract symbols for portfolios that have a huge amount of symbols, 1500 in my case as it MT will only display 20 symbols?  I think one way to do it would be to copy the portfolio in the portfolio editor and then basically drag/drop what is displayed and then delete those symbols in the portfolio  and it will show the next set of 20?  Am I correct it will always show the 1st 20 symbols based on how it shows up in portfolio editor?  Thanks!

you can copy/paste the list of symbols that is one per line into MT exactly the same as comma separated, so do not need to mess with it. If you do want to mess with it, most advanced text editors have a JOIN type command that will do it.

copying 1500 symbols - you can subscribe to MT Premium access:

https://medvedtrader.com/pricing 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, I meant what if one didn't subscribe to MT Premium Access since even though I know it says one can ask for a refund within 48 hours, it just seems like it would create a hassle on your side just to copy the symbols which is more of giving a list to people of what things are on my watchlist so they can copy, edit and paste the symbols into whatever tool they are using as I would subscribe but I will probably do it on January 1, 2021.

Can one just copy 20 symbols and then delete the 20 symbols from the portfolio and it will just show the next 20?  While on the same subject, assuming one had symbols one per line in a text file and had MT Premium Access, can the file be imported back into MT?  I always thought MT only allowed symbols entered comma separated and not one per line?  Thanks!

Edited by Almighty1

Yes, just tried the reverse copying from Notepad++ with symbols that doesn't exist in MT already and it works fine.  Ofcourse just as a experiment, trying to copy the 20 symbols from a 1500 symbol portfolio - using a copy of it didn't work other than the 20 symbols as once the 20 symbols are deleted, all the other symbols also got deleted even when seen in portfolio editor.  When I initially asked the question, I would have thought it would have been Portfolio Editor that would have the drag/drop function since atleast that way, it wouldn't include the data from the sources which would be something that one should pay for premium access for.  

As for the subscription, January is just easier for me to remember as basically it's the beginning of a new year without having to look it up on when I started subscribing since I usually remember everything in my head instead of looking things up.  The other reason is because my laptop computer broke down so I won't even have time to even use MT as trying to get all the same software and other things installed on the new computer will take some time so I will just share my list of symbols with friends in a text file and also will tell them to use MT.  

Sounds good to me, so am I correct that I won't be charged until January 1, 2021?   Also, is there anyway I can export my portfolio symbols only using the export feature and share with others so they can try MT for the first month free and import the exported file as I tried in the past and my friend said they got the restriction that it's not possible with a free account, I thought that was only a restriction after the first free month.  

Edited by Almighty1