Medved Trader Forums

Shortable Colum if using different datafeed than broker

3acor

Hey.

I have multiple portfolios open and I am using Quotestream as my datasource. On one of the portfolios, I have IB datafeed running so that it shows me the "Shortable" column.
I also set IB data "Smart Source Priority" to "Never" so as the charts do not backfill using IB. I have the charts default backfill as Quotestream.

Is this the correct way to do it?

The backfill is fine, its just when the stock data is updated, it updates the volume wrong. It multiplies the volume by significant amount. If I have the same stock on 2 different portfolios with 2 different datafeeds, MT is getting confused I think? The level 2 quotes and backfill are coming from Quotestream

Edited by 3acor

It could be you have the same issue I have with IB and Webull, where WB doesn't update the last day close price and volume, while IB does (in PM and AH only).

As soon as I set WB as source in Portfolio window, I get spikes and crazy volume on the chart. But, on the other hand, I get Time & Sales working great vs crappy IB.

At 9:30 and during regular market hours, things sort out.

7 hours ago, gnc said:

It could be you have the same issue I have with IB and Webull, where WB doesn't update the last day close price and volume, while IB does (in PM and AH only).

As soon as I set WB as source in Portfolio window, I get spikes and crazy volume on the chart. But, on the other hand, I get Time & Sales working great vs crappy IB.

At 9:30 and during regular market hours, things sort out.

I see. But my issue is not when the market opens at 9.30 or not. Let's say I have GME in portfolio A using Quotestream data and then I open Portfolio B using IB data and I add GME. This is where the volume gets crazy. Even though I have IB data "Smart Source Priority" set as "Never",  Charts backfill as Quotestream and Rawdata/Level II as Quotestream.
I would assume that GME is portfolio B using IB data wouldn't interfere with anything else since everything else is using Quotestream.

I stopped the quotes from running in Portfolio B but the tickers that are in Portfolio B that are also opened in Portfolio A still get updated.

I am using IB gateway so I have no other option to see if the stock is shortable or not.

Edited by 3acor

yes, don't do that. You do not want to get data from 2 sources for the same symbol on Level I (Portfolios). That will cause a problem and there is nothing you can do about that, other than not doing that.

There really is no reason to do multiple sources multiple portfolios like that unless there are some symbols that you can only get quotes from for IB, and GME is not one of them

I have multiple portfolios because I am running a scanner. So on Portfolio A and B I run a scanner, and then I add the results that I want from these scanners to my Watchlist. 
The reason I want to run IB data on the watchlist is to see whether the stock is shortable or not as the shortable data won't show using a data source other than that of the broker.

Maybe if there is a way for MT to pull the shortable data from the broker even if another data source is running since I assume the shortable data has no numbers in it?
image.thumb.png.4e9b166fd4ec702d4ffa4a6ba90f653b.png

Edited by 3acor

Oh, I forgot about that. No, there is no way to get the data unless the symbol happens to be in Positions. Hmmm. I just added that column to POSITIONS and TRANSACTIONS. So, once you get the update (not ready yet), you would be able to do a dummy BUY order for lets say 1 share way below the price, so it does not execute. Then it would show in transactions.. It's a kludge but really the only way I can see doing that other than running 2 MTs

• 2 weeks later...

No I am getting quotes from Quotestream in portfolio. 

Is there no other way? Maybe something like what is shown in the picture below? It would be a nice feature to have as it also gives the margin requirement on the long and short side

egpTPYbedq.png

Edited by 3acor

Huh? we are going in circles here. You said "The reason I want to run IB data on the watchlist is to see whether the stock is shortable or not as the shortable data won't show using a data source other than that of the broker." which is why I gave you the solution with the positions. But that assumes that you are getting quotes from IB. there is no other way

If I am running IB data on the portfolio it will show me info in the shortable column so no need to have the shortable column in "account view". My point is that I don't want to run IB data. I want to run Quotestream data on the portfolio and still have a way of showing info in the shortable column but I get now that there is no way to have it work that way.

A small work around that I did is to run IB data on the portfolio for a couple seconds and it will give me info in the shortable column. Then I stop IB data and run Quotestream data and the shortable info will still show, but of course it won't update. And that is fine. 

Sorry for the misunderstanding

Edited by 3acor

oh sorry Jerry, my bad. I had a different understanding of "Alternate Quote Source" so I had it set on Quotestream. It works now. Thanks a lot :)

With that said, is it possible to add 2 columns in "account view" for Long and Short initial margin requirement that work the same way as Shortable column by doing a dummy order?
Some stocks have very high margin requirement specially if going Short so its not worth trading them and its easier to know what position size I need.

Sorry for the many demands and thanks again :)