Medved Trader Forums

Adjustment of Trailing Stop on DOM Not Working Properly at Times

Doug Hayman

Hi Jerry,

I've mentioned this partially in other threads, and the functionality has certainly improved from earlier releases.  Native Trailing Stop logic works perfectly on the DOM.

I've noticed the following 2 behaviors:

1) Using DOM with StopLimit OTOCA Order, with a T-Stop$ trailing Leg (for either a Buy or Sell order).  Once trade is filled, if I subsequently try to manually adjust my T-Stop$ price to a new level (in a positive direction for my trade to tighten my stop) on the DOM, at times (but not always) the T-Stop$ price jumps to a different price (usually a tick or 2 away) from my desired reposition of price; 

2) If I attempt to adjust my T-Stop$ price multiple times during the same active trade, eventually T-Stop$ gets into a funky state where it moves BOTH up AND down, in concert with market price moves.

Can't really add any value by adding a screen capture for you; just described verbally above the best I can.

Using latest Beta, trading MES futures with IB broker.

Thanks in advance.

1) I was able to recreate. Is it only after OTOCA or if you put in an OCA order too? 

2) this happens if IB doesn't send the actual "Stop" price. Until then, only thing MT has is the offset, so it shows it as offset from "current" price. Once IB sends the actual stop price, it can show it properly. If viewing the Account View, Transactions window, you will see the stop price show up.

• 2 weeks later...

FYI, I tried an AUTO->OCA trade today (MES Long with 3.25 point trailing stop).  As price moved up beyond 3.25 gain, the Trailing Stop didn't move up at all with it.  All of a sudden it, the Trailing Stop jumped 5 points, and then trailed appropriately.   This happened three times today.

I check the resources of my laptop to make sure CPU and Memory wasn't pegged at 100% or something, but I had plenty of available resources.

Could this be IB misbehaving again?

Edited by Doug Hayman

I figured that, but thought I'd bring it to your attention, since you asked me about OCA orders (with trails) above in this thread.  Maybe had something to do with today's heavy trading volume.  I assume that IB would be keeping track of Trail on their trading server, and that it's just their API update being sluggish then.

LOL, just like my brother and I.  Thanks.   In the interim, you'll be happy to know that I used new Hot Keys feature to tighten my TStop (only prob is that I do a cancel of existing Stop, before creating new one, so there is chance market moves before new TStop is submitted).

• 2 weeks later...