Medved Trader Forums

IB Symbols In MT Not Same As QT

narbassi

Jerry,

I used to enter the following into QT for IB datafeed.

FOREX                IDEALPRO:#EUR.USD
Dow Jones :        'ECBOT:@YM   JUN 14'
S&P                     GLOBEX:@ESM4
NASDAQ               GLOBEX:@NQM4
FTSE (3Months)     LIFFE:@ZM4

Now In MT - they are not working. I am subscribed to the data feeds. I tried other combinations too, ie Forex EUR.USD. EUR.USD. 

Thanks

Narinder Bassi

Jerry

For IB I am struggling with the Forex Format

In QT = IDEALPRO:#EUR.USD (works)

I have read the beta instructions. Still cannot get the data.

I have tried

EUR.USD:IDEALPRO

EUR.USD

and a few others

The Software is really good, impressive

Thanks

Narinder Bassi

was not at the PC before, so couldn't give you all details. 

Forex symbols:
#EUR.USD

Futurres:

@YMM14

@ESM14

@NQM14

@ZM14 

if you want to specify the exchange (in case MT does not know it for your specific symbol) can do it like this:

#EUR.USD:IDEALPRO

@YMM14:ECBOT

@ESM14:GLOBEX

@NQM14:GLOBEX

@ZM14:LIFFE

The original instructions are:

MT uses its own symbology, though pretty flexible in taking others. 

[TYPECODE]SYMBOL[:[EXCHANGE[$CURRENCY]]

For example, @ESZ13:GLOBEX  or just simply @ESZ13 since MT knows the exchange for most of the common futures symbols

type codes are similar to QT

Stock = "" (nothing) 

Option = ".";

Index = "$";

MutFund = "_";

Future = "@";

FutureOpt = "^";

Warrant = "!";

Cash = "#";

Bond = "&";

the SYMBOL portion is also standardized for Futures, Options and CASH (FOREX). 

FOREX:  EUR.USD

FUTURES: ESU13

OPTIONS: ROOT_YYMMDDC##000.####

where C is C or P (call or Put) and ##000.#### represents the Strike price, were # are optional digits (only if needed) and 0 represents mandatory digits.

For example: AAPL7 Mar 22 2014 515.0 Call would be:

.AAPL7_140322C515.00

In most cases, the native datafeed format will work as well, but if you want to mix datafeeds (like using IB with IQFEED For backfill) then the MT format should be used. MT will then auto convert everything.

Also, MT does automatic defaulting of the exchange for many common symbols. so you can enter either @ESU13 or @ESU13:GLOBEX.  Either will work, as long as you don't enter both.

• 4 weeks later...

I still struggle with the symbol entries along with truly understanding if MT is running or not. Today's struggle, @CLQ14 seemed to work last week well most the time anyway times seemed weird. Its showing price of 106.83 MT on the other hand IB has the correct 107.26, @15:48 Pacific time. hummph confused again.

I guess my question is what is the correct entry of Light Sweet Crude @CLQ14 ? I get data to the IB charts fine.

way, are you sure you have IB selected as the quote source in MT in the portfolio? Reason I ask - if I select Yahoo, I get the 106.83 value. If I select IB, I get the correct 107... value

@CLQ14 is the correct symbol for MT.  You could do @CLQ14:NYMEX but for MT knows the exchange for CL so the shorter symbol will work. 

Also,  are you getting the correct quote in the portfolio?  Close the chart. get quote in the portfolio, open the chart. I am thinking that maybe if just the chart is open, it gets the data from the wrong source.

Yes under settings I have IB selected but did mess around with the "Show at Top of Selection Lists." and included Yahoo to the top. However just now made sure the only thing at the top and selected is IB. Which wasn't and easy task it wouldn't let me uncheck them to the top. Eventually got it unchecked Shut down MT and restarted.

Ok now I have new candles. Just checking the the 5minute chart. But It still won't backfil to the open. Which is why originally a few days ago I put yahoo up at the top section, thinking but not sure Yahoo could back fill. I think I remember you saying a few months ago Yahoo now back fills futures not 100% on that memory tho. But either way still no back fill.

But I do have new candles now

Thank-you

way

you are talking about something else entirely.  My question was not about settings. My question was whether or not you have IB selected as the source for the portfolio.  On the portfolio window, on top left, on the ribbon, there is a combo box where you select the source you wish to use for quotes. Your Backfill issue is because of this as well.