Medved Trader Forums

Saved Order: Highest High or Lowest Low

tommyjames

Hotkeys really have access to the current state of your account and current state of the symbol being referenced. Not the historical data or various computed indicators on the symbol.

But I am thinking I can allow paintbars to set a named variable in the chart that would be accessible by any hotkey executed on that chart.

That way you could compute any value you wanted based on any indicator and expose it to the hotkey.

• Like 1

Tommy, I did the following (I put this in our Help file):

You can now use hotkeys and paintbars together to enhance functionality.

The way to do this is:

* Create a Paintbar or a Scan that calculates some value that you would want to use in your Hotkey when placing a trade.

* Use the SetInterVar or the SetChartVar function to pass that value out of the paintbar.

* Use the passed value in any hotkey by using the intervar() or chartvar() scripting function in any field

The difference between intervar and chartvar values is that the intervar values are per-symbol. That is, a chart's paintbar may set it, but a hotkey may access it on a different chart, or even on a trade ticket or a Level II window.

The chartvar value is only available to the hotkey on the chart where you placed the particular paintbar. 

If you want to test it, email us and we will point you to an exe that has it.

• 11 months later...

Hi Mike,

Quick question.  If I can now reference lets say the price channel high or low and access it in a saved order as you described above.  Lets say I use it to put a protective stop in at the price channel low... and then price moves up... would there be away for the protective stop to stay attached to the price channel?  Or would I have to continuously hit the hotkey to keep the stop at the new value?

Thanks 

The hotkey actually places the order. If it is a "send" it sends the order to the broker. If it is not a "send" but just a "drop" it drops the capsule on the chart. But it is a "do and forget" thing. If you send or drop another order, it will not replace the previous one, it will add one more...

There is a ChangeOrder hotkey that could work, but you would still to hit the hotkey to do that and it works under certain circumstances only. Like on Chart it would change the order over which the mouse is, or if there is only one order, will change that one.