Medved Trader Forums

Charts

alextrader777

• 1 month later...

I stand corrected. Thought we implemented that check, but guess not.  

1) Daily candle will NOT have the same OPEN price as intraday.  The daily one takes the official OPEN value. Intraday charts don't care about that.  The first 5 min candle will cover data from 9:30 to 9:35.  The official open may not match the first quote at 9:30

2) 60 min candle is taking all data from 9:00 to 10:00.  In the future, will make it omit the 9:00 to 9:30 if extended hours are not to be shown. This won't be done for a couple weeks though.

Hello Jerry, I have downloaded MT a time ago. I have IB account and I adjusted API in it so that MT showes charts. I use MT only for charts. The problem is MT not always backfiling charts with IB account and Finanace yahoo either. Now I am trying good old QT with Stockwatch though it costs money. Do other users of MT does not have backfill issues, if so i am better try MT reinstalling or doing wtever needed.  Thank you for your support.

Stockwatch will work much better with MT than QT

I need a bit more specifics than just "not always backfilling".  Can you give me some details:

1) Is this for Intraday or Historical (End of Day) charts?

2) What is the intraday backfill source set to in MT?

3) What is the Historical backfill source set to in MT?

4) What symbols are you having problems with?

5) What is the problem? No data at all? something wrong with the data?

you can only use one source for data at a time for a given symbol, so which one are you using for the symbol that is having the problem? If you have the same symbol in 2 portfolios getting data from 2 different sources, that will definitely cause problems. 

You didnt answer most of the questions. I need details to be able to help. 

what is "very long time" exactly?

Do the symbols have data before you switch to them, or does MT have to backfill?

What backfill source?

what is the max data you have MT set to? SETTINGS / CHARTS / General screen.

What kind of computer do you have? CPU, Memory, OS.

- symbols do have data and are listed in the portfolio, but every time I browse through them, they keep backfilling.

- maybe that's the problem?

- if the symbols are listed in the portfolio they suppose to have data already, right?

- max data is set for 60 days

- backfill source is IB

- long time I mean, it can just freeze for a minute or two, but only in the intraday charts

what about the CPU/Memory/OS?

Are these very active symbols? (@ES, AAPL, SPY, etc)

if you have MT set to auto backfill charts, it will do so every time the chart is opened (or new symbol entered). We have a todo item to check for gaps before doing that, but that is not done yet.  So even though IB data is 10 days, MT may have 60 days of tick data, which would have to be merged/checked, and that can take a bit. Though it should certainly not freeze anything since it is done in separate tasks. That is why I asked you about CPU, ec.

Also, what are the charts set to? Type/period/frequency?

You can turn off auto backfill and see if that makes a significant difference.  SETTINGS / CHARTS / GENERAL .

1. CPU: AMD Athlon Dual-Core QL-64, 2.10GHz
Memory: 3GB
32-bit system
Windows Vista Home Premium
Laptop about 5.5 years old

2. Yes, AAPL and SPY are very active symbols
3. Intraday charts are set to "2 days/5 min"
4. I have 28 symbols in my portfolio
I tried to turn off auto backfill, and it makes the difference of course, even though both the portfolio and intraday chart still freeze for 3 seconds. But this is not the solution of course.

I thought that since the symbols are in the portfolio they suppose to be automatically updated and backfilled, and when I click on the specific symbol the data is all ready for display. But this is not the case obviously.
Then the problem is probably in checking for gaps and backfilling only the missing data.
Maybe I should also reduce the 60 days backfill, but you saying that this is not the problem?

The amount of memory is pretty light for MT, so that will have an impact. As for backfill, unless you are constantly looking at new symbols, there really is no reason why not to turn off auto backfill. If you have MT running during market hours getting quotes, backfill is redundant. In the situation where you do add a new symbol, you can always do a manual one

all the symbols in the portfolio that are getting the quotes, have the quotes stored, so once backfilled once, you don't need to do it again.

Hist backfill - you can just do Hist backfill all in the beginning of the day, and turn off the auto backfill.

There is no ideal. It depends on your usage and expectations. 3 in general is pretty low.

• 4 weeks later...

right now you can either double click on each row in the dashboard Windows display, or click on each icon on the taskbar (if you have charts set to have their own icon)

I can add a right click option to the dashboard display so you can highlight multiple rows and select Restore