Medved Trader Forums

Quotes not updating

robgrant

separate from reliability - the difference in commission may or may not be advantageous depending on your usual order sizes.

if you are an active trader, you can get TDA commissions down to $5 or $6.  If you do that and your usual trade is 5,000 shares or higher, TDA would be cheaper.  If you usually trade smaller sizes, paying 0.01 per share with IB can be a lot cheaper. Also lets you leg into a trade 

Such as?

in addition to above,

• RELIABILITY can not be emphasized enough imho
  • access to almost all world markets, equity, futures, commodity's, Forex, etc...
  • Global acct, efficient use of capital, no need to maintain separate accts [futures, equities, forex]
  • ECN Forex
  • excellent execution
  • reliable API 
  • reliable data, even in fast markets due to its "snapshot" as opposed to tick by tick
  • TWS is an extremely usefull program, albeit a front end and/charting package is usually employed. [which MT is, "once order entry module is incorporated"]
  • Strict margin control, I feel safe knowing that those with less than optimal risk management won't take the brokerage down [along with my deposits]
  • 24 hr customer service, trading desk - Asian desk, European desk, US desk
  • Just an all around solid, healthy brokerage

I could go on, but I think you get my point...