Medved Trader Forums

Options Chain Functionality For Australian Brokers

Lapa

Question

17 answers to this question

I have not looked. Do Commsec and E*Trade AU give you a chance to get an full option chain for a symbol - all expirations? or just one expiration month at a time?

Not sure about Etrade I don't have an options account with them, but in Commsec you can pretty much view full option chain for all months with expiration's

MVPsKCi.jpg    SpI0hjm.jpg

oanCRG3.jpg

Hmm, before even getting into option chains, I think we need to properly handle the option symbols, which MT is not doing for Australian markets.  Can you tell me how the symbol is formed? I understand that a 6 (or sometimes 5) character format is used but don't see any correlation between strike price / expiration and the values used.  In the above example: CBAR87, what do R87 stand for? is there some formula for converting the Call/Put, expiration, Strike price to a symbol?

Can you tell me how the symbol is formed? I understand that a 6 (or sometimes 5) character format is used but don't see any correlation between strike price / expiration and the values used. 

Not sure if there is any correlation.

Are the option symbols used on ASX the same as what would be used on CommSec and others?

So if ANZV79 is for ANZ Call with expiration: 25/06/2015, Strike: 41.000 on ASX, it will be ANZV79 on other sites too?

I can probably do it, BUT MT would have to handle the symbols as regular stock symbols - in other words, MT would not know they are options and thus would not be able to do anything special for them - be it request the quotes differently (if the site requires it) or do different multiples for trading. Also, for full option chain (which we don't have yet), we need to be able to:

1) Get the chain - all option symbols for a given root

2) Get the quotes on many option symbols by specifying the symbols

In other words, don't think we would be able to use the page you referenced because it does not let us specify which symbols MT needs quotes on.  When implementing OC, will see if anything can be done about that.

Are the option symbols used on ASX the same as what would be used on CommSec and others?

So if ANZV79 is for ANZ Call with expiration: 25/06/2015, Strike: 41.000 on ASX, it will be ANZV79 on other sites too?

Yes that will be the case.

Not sure if this will help, it is a plugin for OptionsOracle which uses the ASX site to parse data  https://github.com/Ciuco/OptionsOracle/blob/master/OOServerASX/Main.cs

what is the exact symbol you enter on the option selector window? NOTE: :ASX suffix is required

ASX suffix required ? not sure I follow, the suffix hasn't been a requirement in the past releases.

Portfolio isn't being updated, Using the ASX (Australian Stock Exchange) Source

ASX suffix required ? not sure I follow, the suffix hasn't been a requirement in the past releases.

Portfolio isn't being updated, Using the ASX (Australian Stock Exchange) Source.

Adding the suffix :ASX fixes the issue, I have never needed to add the Suffix in the past, is this a temporary build necessity.

Quoted myself oops.

y, for ASX, I want the suffix. Otherwise, people select it for US stuff (news, etc) and it just puts a load on their servers for no reason. Plus, if you do not add the suffix, MT handles the quote as if it is a US stock, and mixing stuff like backfill, news, etc, becomes a problem, so I made it required.

@Lapa, having a option chain display window with full quotes will be added in the future.  Right now we have the option selector, so your datafeed does need to support options for this to work. I believe Commsec works with options. Others might as well. So if you either enter the symbol into the portfolio (if you know it) or you use the option selector to pick it, and use a source that supports options, it should give you the bid/ask, etc.  

If Commsec does not work, let me know