Medved Trader Forums

The (NYSE and NASDAQ) markets open at 9:30 not 9:00

Rob

Jerry,

After opening an intraday chart,
if you set the "FREQ" to 60, 120, etc
minutes, then whatever happened on that day at 9:30

will be displayed as something that happened at 9:00.

I hope this helps.

Rob

P.S. Jerry, I do appreciate the time and effort you and your guys put into designing and coding the most recent revision Medved Trader.
        However, I don't have to give you any feedback, and you guys don't have to improve, re-design, or re-code anything at all.
        What I would like to se is that - compared to Quote Tracker - your Medved Trader was a better product in every way, shape and form.
        Additionally, let's keep in mind that, by definition, 'all' bug reports tend to be and are supposed to be negative,
        The issue is that, as to negative stuff, it's human nature that we often fail to see the good intention(s) behind it.
        Jerry, I sincerely would like to see that you are able to sell your (new MT) software to stockbrokers such as TD Ameritrade.
        Jerry, I would like to see that you succeed, and that your MT is better than your QT. -- Rob

Rob, re: the PS - don't worry about it - really.  We have VERY tough skins. Otherwise, I would have killed Mike years ago.

As for what you described, that is intended functionality. When the frequency is an hour multiple, each candle must start on the hour.  Otherwise, things don't line up.  However, assuming you have the chart set to not show extended hours, the first candle shows as starting on the hour, but the actual data still starts at 9:30.  

that is pretty much the standard way of handling that. Alternative would be to start every candle on the :30 but then you would have similar issue on the end, and it is better to have the hourly candles line up on the hour

• 1 month later...
> what you described, that is intended functionality. When the frequency is an hour multiple, each candle must start on the hour.  Otherwise, things don't line up.  However, assuming you have the chart set to not show extended hours, the first candle shows as starting on the hour, but the actual data still starts at 9:30.

Naturally, you've got good intentions and a perfectly logical explanation.

However, the current design is misleading.

It misleads the user.

It also drives away the user.

I find myself going back to QT, whenever I need 1-hour charts.

Sorry Rob, but you are dead wrong on this one.  Being that the market is 6.5 hours long, there is no way to have all candles show exactly 1 hour. One way or another one of the candles will show 30 minutes.  Just because QT did it wrong and you are used to it does not mean we need to copy the old mistakes.  

We didn't just arbitrarily select this. This is an industry standard.  Every other major charting system shows it that way and we have to be consistent.

• Like 1