Medved Trader Forums

Intraday historical backfill and level 2 broker

JabbatheHut

MT collects the Level I quotes it gets during the day and builds the charts from them. However, to show you a continuous chart includng periods when MT was not getting the quotes, MT needs to "Backfill" the data.  
Intraday backfill - is the retrieval of the historical intraday data for the intraday charts,
Historical backfill - refers to the retrieval of the historical End Of Day (Daily) data for the Historical charts,

It is not that Questrade doesn't allow it. Its just that their datafeed does not currently support Level II. We hope to have them add that in the future. Along with increasing max # of concurrent streaming symbols beyond 50, making some changes to backfill which would allow us to get it much faster, and some other issues. I am sure they, like everyone else, have limited resources to devote to various projects. Squeaky wheel gets the grease, so start squeaking :)

So you're saying I should ask for the level 2 to be added and eventually with clients request Questrade might do it.

I'm not sure I follow the data feed thing: what does it mean their data feed does not support level 2. The data feed that they share with you?

And why not? Because it cost them more more money? or because they need more or bigger servers?

Thanks again Jerry

Level II asking - yes. I am sure if they hear from a lot of their clients about need for Level II via API (and thus Medved Trader) that project will get higher priority than if nobody asks for it.

They have an API (Application Programming Interface) for 3rd party software such as MT to use to connect to them.  That API does not currently support Level II.  Why? I doubt its cost of the datafeed itself, since they already have it. More likely just the needed man-hours to add support for it in the API, test it, etc.

• Like 1