Medved Trader Forums

alerts based on purchase price or set price

TMAlley

Question

I can't find a way to set an alert based on the purchase price ... like sell when drops 10% or reaches profit target.

I would also like to be able to set an alert if the price hits a specific price even if that may take days.

I can't figure out a way to do either.  I hope I'm just missing something.  I'm not always in/out the same day so alerts seem lacking some old features of QT.

I also don't know what "a recent high" in trailing alerts means.  What time frame?

4 answers to this question

Sorry, tried to edit this but couldn't.  I met to say...

I can't find a way to set an alert based on the purchase price or high price since purchase (trailing stop)... like sell when drops 10%.

I would also like to be able to set an alert if the price hits a specific price even if that may take days.

I can't figure out a way to do either.  I hope I'm just missing something.  I'm not always in/out the same day so alerts seem lacking some old features of QT.

I also don't know what "a recent high" in trailing alerts means.  What time frame?  

The MT Trailing stop alert works basically the same way as it did in QT.  Just select Trailing stop alert.

Lets say you bought AAPL at 106 just now.  You want to do a trailing stop alert, trailing by 2 points.  You would select 

Alert when the price reaches [BELOW] a recent high by [ 2 ] [POINTS]

MT will track it (this alert tracks data across sessions, so it will continue even if you restart MT).  Initial trail price will be 106. If AAPL goes up to 107 (setting a recent high), then starts dropping, it will then trigger the alert when it hits 105 (which is 2 points below the recent high)

As for specific price - just set a PRICE CROSSING UP/DOWN alert at a specific point. If the price crosses that point, on the way Up, or Down or either (depending on your setting) it will trigger the alert.

On 8/31/2016 at 0:27 PM, Jerry Medved said:

The MT Trailing stop alert works basically the same way as it did in QT.  Just select Trailing stop alert.

Lets say you bought AAPL at 106 just now.  You want to do a trailing stop alert, trailing by 2 points.  You would select 

Alert when the price reaches [BELOW] a recent high by [ 2 ] [POINTS]

MT will track it (this alert tracks data across sessions, so it will continue even if you restart MT).  Initial trail price will be 106. If AAPL goes up to 107 (setting a recent high), then starts dropping, it will then trigger the alert when it hits 105 (which is 2 points below the recent high)

As for specific price - just set a PRICE CROSSING UP/DOWN alert at a specific point. If the price crosses that point, on the way Up, or Down or either (depending on your setting) it will trigger the alert.

Jerry

Former QT user and now beginning to use MT

I would like to set an alert to popup for a specific price.  I would like that alert to be visible for the stock whenever I open MT.  The Price crossing down seems to alert only if MT is running and the price crosses the set price.  I get no alert if it crossed two days prior to me using MT.  The alert should remain everytime I open MT until I change or remove the alert.

For example

Current stock price   $25   Alert set for $23    three days later the stock price drops to 21.  I open MT and I don't see a alert for the stock.  Am I doing something wrong or how can I set up this type of alert.

in your example, the QT alert alerted you any time the price is below the set price.  

In MT, the crossing alert only alerts you if MT sees the price cross. However, in your example, assuming MT had a quote on the stock at $25, when you open MT when the price is at $21 it should still alert you since it would see the price cross (from the old quote of $25 to $21). If you then shut down MT and open it again there will no longer be an alert however.

We do have the simple price alert on the todo list.