Medved Trader Forums

Any ideas how to distinguish highly manipulated stocks

Dan

Hi there

Here is just general discussion question. Clearly some stocks some time are traded by people and some by algorithms. You see that by the speed the price moves one day and absolutely different way another day. Or by toxic movement like Brownian motion which always gets against you. You have almost no chance not to lose in day trading if algorithms are running. They always break all your stop loss setups. They even probably use artificial intelligence to find who are you and learn and create profile of you like in Las Vegas.  But do anyone know about some volatility or something like that indicators which tell "keep you wallets tight, the sophisticated crook among us manipulating stock" ? :)

Edited by Dan
typos

There is algo trading in every stock, I think 90% of all stock market transactions are HF trading.

Some stocks are more crushed than others by shorts and algos, probably every stock under 50 cents belongs to that category.

It's not the answer you were looking for, but I suggest you learn technical analysis like volume price analysis, and rely on fundamental dd to filter the stocks with real potential.

The day-by-day behavior of some specific stock you follow  sometimes  changes dramatically which tells that algorithm is  on or  off.  Since my question is about day trading, fundamental analysis is not applicable because during the day price can change whatever way the major player with his algorithm (i call him a crook or shell gamer) decided. Any volatility indicators i tried do not tell anything. Volume also can be faked up.

Meantime intuitively it is often very clear that the crook is here. For that you need just to do few trades during which you may lose a lot because the algorithm for sure reacts on large orders opposite way you want it. When there is no crook you submit large order - price moves - people following you. But when crook is here you submit the order - price moves - and next second it moves hell back even more- you sell at loss - and then crook continues in the same direction you initially intended

Edited by Dan

BIDU during last few weeks. Specifically you can look at Mar 26 during first hour of trading. Essentially any day during first couple hours are specifically manipulated if the stock does not move strongly up or down. When the crook does not need strong movement in some direction, it just goes opposite way it lures to go

During end of December and end of January MRNA was heavily manipulated. During earning season all WS crooks have to watch their stocks and the major controlling crook of each stock has nothing to do just to increase manipulation by fluctuation of stock opposite way retail day traders want to go

Edited by Dan

• 2 weeks later...

Took a look at BIDU 3/26 first hour. To me just a test of previous close, at first it was support then it became resistance. Then world realized it wasn't going higher and then it dropped and traded under moving averages and other technicals all day. It made a double bottom and broke above MA with a little rally to the previous close. If people don't want to buy at a high price above the Close, guess what happens when someone wants to sell? It goes down. Don't forget Shorters, they love failed rallies. Buyers only start to come back in if they see something supportive, like a double bottom. It also sets a risk level if the DB fails. Just typical day trading patterns.