Medved Trader Forums

Bracket existing position

Hans

I'd like to create a hotkey that allows me to bracket an existing position.

say I happened to enter a long or short position using the buy/sell buttons.

I now want to place a bracket order around that existing position, at a predefined % distance from my entry price. 

How can I achieve this in the hotkey editor? I tried a few settings but no luck yet. I guess the LimitPrice needs a reference to my entry price but not sure which expression to use. PosPaid+x% seems not correct.

image.png.d94c0f20bdcb6b8cc8c93a7323e967c4.png

Edited by Hans

the 2nd order always has to be an offset.  The if the first one is +8%, I set the 2nd one to be minus 8% from that, which should be 8% below the paid price.  It should be valid.  NOTE: have to use the offset command and also you may want to use LAST or some combo of LAST and PAID ?  

also, now that I think about it - might be rounding issue - what exact error do you get?

My hotkey settings are pretty much the same as in your screenshot, except that I am using Send: CancelThenSend - I chose this to prevent issues with potentially outstanding orders prior to sending the bracket.  

image.png.ce67773b2ac2f98e36bcf30ae83ec211.png

What I get is this error message and negative stop loss price.

image.thumb.png.19f0bea528e94fe177e8de693ca2547f.png

btw. I understood it is necessary to use the offset command. As a user I prefer entering a simple percentage offset. 

Btw - does the requirement to use the offset command affect other bracket orders, such as OTOCA? 

Hi Jerry,

I completed testing my 'bracket existing position' orders on my IB account and they work fine. I created two versions:

• one with stop market, TIF GTC
  • one with stop limit, TIF GTC+Ext

I have another account with TradeStation. I am trying to test the same orders on the TradeStation SIM account now. The bracket with stop market and TIF=GTC seems to work fine, but the order with stop limit and TIF=GTC+Ext is causing this error: 

The error message seems to suggest TS is not allowing market and stop orders with TIF=GTC+... 

Is there another way to place brackets that execute outside of regular trading hours?

image.thumb.png.ca0de0e5a71f15f2a625a2a2707cdbdc.png

Edited by Hans