Medved Trader Forums

Today's candle on Historical chart

Hans

Hi

On the daily chart, MT begins drawing the current day' candle during the premarket session. I find it to be a bit confusing as the market is not yet open.

Can MT be configured to draw this candle during regular market hours only? 

by default the historical charts are set for real-time updates, in which case the last candle is computed from the intraday quote's OPEN, HIGH, LOW and LAST, whatever they are. If you turn off the real-time option on SETTINGS / CHARTS / GENERAL, then it will just show whatever data comes from the backfill and not do computations itself. That data will not have ext. hours, but won't auto update either.

Not sure I understand.

I do want today's candle to print on the daily (historical chart) during the regular session only, but not outside of the regular session. At the same time I'd like to monitor premarket data on an intraday chart. Is that doable in MT? 

Hi,
I understand what Hans is saying cause, it throws me off occasionally. I guess another way to explain it is we don't want to FULLY disable real-time updating for historical cause it can be useful during regular hours (daily patterns, etc) but if there was an option to disable real-time historical updating ONLY during pre/post hours that would be helpful. From 4AM-9:30AM the historical would simply be paused at previous days close, resume real-time updating at open, then pause at close once again.

All backfilled historical candles only take into account regular hours so why have the current daily candle update real-time during pre/post when there's an intraday chart. 

Hope that helps.

basically that significantly complicates things. 

If we just get the last 4:00 PM RT data (or whatever the close time is for the timeframe) , that slows things and also does not guarantee that it is the official close

If we turn off RT updates so it falls back on backfill data, well, the backfill may have been done hours ago so the candle will be totally inaccurate

If we turn off RT updates and backfill, then chances are that the Hist Backfill candle will not have close yet, since hist data can be delayed depending on the datafeed. And the candle would stay that way since no RT updates and no auto backfills.

Just to add a bit more as it's something I just noticed, during premarket (aka. Now) the current daily candle is still yesterdays candle. Today is the 25th but the active daily candle is still 5/24. Doesn't seem right...

Screenshot 2023-05-25 062958.png

Thanks mb4x4

That long green candle on your daily is the premarket action from today. Interestingly, the chart in your first post labels this candle 5/24 but in the chart in your second post it's labeled 5/25. 

Mine looks similar to your second post, printing that long green candle on the daily based on premarket action while the market is still closed. There should be no candle just yet as the daily should represent regular market hours action only, exluding PM/AH.  I wonder how the candle will look like once the market opens.

image.png.9e3e7be32d21edbf89b2f2a7105b13a7.png

Yes, it began printing the 5/25 daily at 8AM EST which is a bit strange IMO. 

I can see how printing of a daily candle AT ALL during premarket can be confusing because the market hasn't even opened, daily candles don't factor in extended hours. 

Edited by mb4x4

To be fair to MT though, it seems different platforms treat daily candles in different ways. For example TDA doesn't print a daily candle during premarket but IBKR does.

Screenshot 2023-05-25 064110.png

Screenshot 2023-05-25 073334.png

Edited by mb4x4

23 hours ago, mb4x4 said:

To be fair to MT though, it seems different platforms treat daily candles in different ways. For example TDA doesn't print a daily candle during premarket but IBKR does.

I checked my IBKR TWS which does not show the premarket candle on the daily. I have turned off "Show data outside of regular trading hours" on my daily chart. Anyways, we now know that three other platforms provide the ability to print daily candles during market hours only. I hope this is enough to demonstrate that this standard practice in the market.