Medved Trader Forums

Color coding in raw data window

elisa

Hello,

I checked in the documentation, and I believe I've not seen any details as to either foreground and background colors displayed in the Raw data window for the time, last price, bid, ask and volume columns.

I understand that border color in the Last column indicates price increase or decrease but what does the black, red and green text foreground color mean for that column?
Backgroud color for the Bid and Ask columns indicate a price increase/decrease for the column compared to the previous trade but what about the white, black, red and green background colors for the Volume column? 

I noticed that depending on the broker/data provider selected the bid and ask columns might be colored or not. For example, a lot less colors appear in the second screenshot below but surprisingly this provider is sending a lot more data including changes to top bid/ask price in the absence of a trade closing. Why then less color coding in the rows?

Also, could you clarify the meaning of the green/red background for the Last column in the Portfolio list (in the screenshots below columns Last, Pressure and Quote trend from the Portfolio list displayed for the MSFT symbol).

FIRST DATA PROVIDER
image.png.c7d9dd7f13e03282efd8ceb8e8798c1b.png

SECOND DATA PROVIDER
image.png.c7c209f841c7346e5fdbb42db6ab0a63.png

Thanks
Eli

image.png

Edited by elisa

Hi Elisa,

The difference in your screenshot is settings plus granularity of the data.  First screenshot seems that the data is not from a tick by tick datafeed.  It is aggregated, so there are a lot more higher size blocks. 2nd and 3rd screenshot are from a source that is giving you every tick, so they are true trade sizes and those are not usually suck big blocks.

The solid highlights in the VOLUME on the first screenshot is for block trades.   Block highlights Background colors are RED and GREEN when the trade is at BID/ASK, or BLACK if in between. 

Text color of the LAST column is same as for Volume - RED and GREEN when the trade is at BID/ASK.

PORTFOLIO LAST - color coding represents the day range for the stock. can be turned on/off on SETTINGS/ APPLICATION / APPEARANCE

image.png

you are missing some of the screenshots that you reference. I do not see any screenshots of portfolio windows.  However - please make sure that if you have multiple portfolio windows open with different quote sources, that you do not have the same symbol in both portfolios.

Portfolio appears in the screenshots, look just above the raw data window (only a limited section of the portfolio for MSFT with just a few columns is captured in all pictures). What about the white background for the volume column?

So I suppose that black foreground color for text in Last and Volume is when the trade closes at a price that is neither of the then ask/bid prices.........but can a trade close to a price than is not eirther the ask/bid prices or is it only the result of multiple trades being aggregated?

Are the ask/bid displayed those after trade closure or at trade closure? Sorry this is not really a question about you application but on the data itself :)

portfolio screenshot - sorry, missed that

White background of the volume column - that is the regular text. Note that you have alternating backgrounds for the rows, so every row default background is either white or yellow.

Black - yes, means between the bid ask, AND it is a block trade, so that is why it is highlighted background

A trade can definitely occur between the bid/ask even if not aggregated.

Bid/ask- internally in the datafeeds the bid/ask is a separate feed from trades. Usually you would expect the trade to occur followed by the corresponding bid/ask change (if any) but cannot guarantee that.