Medved Trader Forums

Schwab and TDA are going Nuclear

HIGH99

I'm being bombarded with emails from both.  StreetSmart Central, the web platform for futures and only way to trade futures with Schwab,

is toast after tomorrow,  Friday.  TDA is still talking May when they will shut down.  Hubba, hubba, Jerry.  Get that API up and running.  The clock is ticking.

THANKS!!!!!

Futures - please note that you could not trade futures via MT with TD Ameritrade in the first place. Initial implementation of Schwab API will not support futures either as it will be almost identical port of the TD Ameritrade API. Futures trading may be added in the future (no pun intended).  Quotes will work on day 1.

As for the rest, we are actively working with Schwab on ironing out various issues. We do have the core stuff working. Should definitely have stuff out before May 10.

On 3/21/2024 at 9:36 PM, HIGH99 said:

I'm being bombarded with emails from both.  StreetSmart Central, the web platform for futures and only way to trade futures with Schwab,

is toast after tomorrow,  Friday.  TDA is still talking May when they will shut down.  Hubba, hubba, Jerry.  Get that API up and running.  The clock is ticking.

THANKS!!!!!

I'm in the same boat you are. StreetSnart Central is now toast. Trying now to get Thinkorswim setup on how I want it. Not exactly happy with it. Now that Schwab has forced this move, they need to make sure I'm happy or I'm moving my 7 figure account to IB. I don't trade stocks. I own them. So I could care less about any stock trading features in Thinkorswim. I use futures to tax efficiently cashflow the markets. And I ain't cashflowing it for a few hundred a day. That would be a waste of my time.

We've made progress in the last few days - so now have almost everything in place for when we release. Just waiting on a few fixes to be released in production on Schwab servers.   As for futures, once the initial API stuff is released, I am sure the spotlight will be switched to that.   For the time being, futures do work for quotes and backfill, so that will be in the initial release.

On 3/21/2024 at 10:20 PM, Jerry Medved said:

Futures - please note that you could not trade futures via MT with TD Ameritrade in the first place. Initial implementation of Schwab API will not support futures either as it will be almost identical port of the TD Ameritrade API. Futures trading may be added in the future (no pun intended).  Quotes will work on day 1.

As for the rest, we are actively working with Schwab on ironing out various issues. We do have the core stuff working. Should definitely have stuff out before May 10.

Well that sucks. Trading stocks is a waste of time. I own them. I use futures to tax efficiently cashflow the markets. Were some things I liked about StreetSmart Central and other stuff I hated. 

MT still fully works with IB? I use to trade with IB and QuoteTrader. I was way under capitalized back then and it was much harder to trade profitably. Compared to 20 yrs ago, making money trading futures is a piece of cake these days. I've got a dormant IB account. Not sure I can even log into it. Hmmmm. Maybe see if I can get it going and put a few bucks in it so I can try out MT.  

Well we are live on Thinkorswim. Oh I hate the drawing tools in Thinkorswim. They are god awful. That was one thing I liked about StreetSmart Central. Had great easy to use drawing tools. And you could move the chart around within the frame up/down, left/right with just a swipe of your fingers. With Thinkorswim you have to look for the little arrows under the chart. This is what I've got setup in Thinkorswim so far. 

TD_3_24.png

25 minutes ago, Jerry Medved said:

We've made progress in the last few days - so now have almost everything in place for when we release. Just waiting on a few fixes to be released in production on Schwab servers.   As for futures, once the initial API stuff is released, I am sure the spotlight will be switched to that.   For the time being, futures do work for quotes and backfill, so that will be in the initial release.

Oh good, Maybe I could set it up using the stock info just to see all the features and stuff in MT even though I wouldn't do any trading. And then I could lean on Schwab to get the futures API working. Here's a screenshot of how I had StreetSmart Central setup. Pink lines are just the 4pm close so I know where I'm at on the chart. Green and red lines are the high/low during the opening range. And then I'll draw in some trendlines. I don't bother with all those indicator studies and stuff. One of my most important indicators on the charts is right there on the charts in plain sight and yet everybody misses it. Time. And what time is it and at what time did certain stuff on the charts happen. 

At 8pm Japan starts trading. Then at 9:30 China starts up. I look on the charts to see what happened at those times. And if the chart looks good, I'll even trade it. At 3am, well until next weekend (Europe doesn't switch to daylight saving until next weekend) 4am Europe opens, Sometimes some of the most important stuff to happen on the charts happens between 3-4am. Making money trading the indexes is about knowing how the markets work. Jun24_3_12a.thumb.png.22c8938683c1cb1920c719d0a203189f.png

• 1 month later...