Medved Trader Forums

Fidelity fills and missed positions

Today, my fills from Fidelity seemed sometimes to take many seconds to fill and on a few trades, I got terrible fills. For those that use Fidelity, how have your fills been? I've only been using Fidelity through MT for a few days and want to check if this is the norm or an exception.

On two occasions today, I also entered into a position via MT, but MT didn't know it. To get out, I either had to restart MT, or jump to Fidelity's website trade, or I could have also used ATP to exit the position. Luckily, the price didn't flush either time that happened. Is there a log or something that I can provide when this happens? I'll start recording my trading for the day so I'll know exactly when this happens again.

y with Fidelity you do NOT want to rely on position data being up to the second. When daytrading at the open, I keep that in my head :).  ATP shows delayed positions as well. they have "updating" or something. Very annoying. 

my other one is TD Ameritrade, so Schwab. Waiting to finalize that to release.  

IB would be very quick. 

Yeah, I just wish IBKR Lite would have an option to pay a monthly fee for API access. .005/share for Pro is something I want to avoid if I don't have to. I'll give TradeStation a try for a few days next week. If that doesn't work, then I'll try Schwab when it's ready. I have a TD account that's already been transferred to Schwab. It's just not funded at the moment.

Just to chime in with my experience... I recently switched to Fidelity from TDA and can definitely see the difference in execution speed, TDA trade systems are markedly quicker. I scalp small caps and rely heavily on fast execution, do get great fills when the order processes quickly on Fidelity but I have missed a few entries in the couple of weeks I've been testing. I have many other accounts with them so will likely give it another month to see if I can adjust my trading, if not may switch back to Schwab after the merger is ironed out.

Edited by mb4x4

y, for me basically the price improvements made up for the performance and I traded with the fidelity specific stuff in mind, like keeping position size in my head during fast entries/exits. Plus, you see the execution on T&S before account view :)

Yep :) 

Judging by a bunch of reddit threads seems many ppl aren't happy with the overall Chucky Schwab experience and are jumping ship to Fidelity... my hope is this influx of new day trader accounts pressures them into improving the trading/API infrastructure. Only time will tell...

As far as the Schwab stuff, once the API stuff is done and integrated, it should be same as, or faster than TD Ameritrade (via MT)

As for Fidelity, I am not holding my breath. Their people are very nice and I actually did get some limited help, but in general nothing seems to move them toward opening the API. Multiple 7 and 8 figure accounts have asked, demanded, etc.  no go.  They have their problems, but 10s of thousands of $  per year in price improvements certainly makes them easier to swallow.  Don't know about Schwab, but TD Ameritrade just cut their PIs off overnight about 3 years ago